Initial Screen

Garylee
NewLounger

Initial Screen

Post by Garylee »

Happy New Year to everyone:

I have a whole new problem that I hope someone can help me with.

Before Christmas, I tried to track a package. It asked me to download a program, which I did. I found out that I did not want this program on my computer so I cleared it. But in doing so I have messed up my computer, again. Now, when I turn my computer on, the Windows 7 screen comes up with two small boxes on it. Under one is okwranger, and under the second one is administrator, I have to click on the administrator box to get my computer to go ahead and come on.

I have found the okwrangler icon under Security, but I don't know how to delete this security measure from my program and get it back to the way it use to be.

I don't have a restore point on my computer'

Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Re: Initial Screen

Post by HansV »

Some things you can try:

1) Make sure that your security (anti-virus) software is up-to-date, then run a full scan.
2) If you don't already have it, download and install Malwarebytes - the free version will do. Then run a full scan.
3) Download and install WhatInStartup (free). Run it and see if there is anything you don't trust/expect. If so, you can disable it. If you're not sure, post a screenshot of what WhatInStartup lists.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry you are experiencing the problem, Gary; but thank you for the question. It piqued my curiosity when Hans mentioned WhatInStartUp. I downloaded it and found, to my surprise, more than 30 things in my start up list. This will allow me to do a little housecleaning.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Just to add, if you have CCleaner installed, this app can also check and edit the startup list.
CCleaner Startup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I recommend you install https://www.winpatrol.com/, been using it for years, every time something wants to creep into my system startup locations, Winpatrol warns me and have to approve it if its ok.
Cheers, Claude.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

The definitive Microsoft program to display what gets loaded when Windows starts is Mark Russinovich's Autoruns. You will be even more staggered at the results! It is best run as an Administrator.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

AutoRuns is a great utility, but it's rather overwhelming for the beginner, and because it lists so many items, it's much harder to decide which ones can be disabled safely...
Best wishes,
Hans