Unidentified Network

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Unidentified Network

Post by PaulB »

Every time I boot my computer it comes up attached to two networks.
Capture1.PNG
This has been happening for the last 2-3 weeks. Prior to that, it occurred very occasionally, so I just ignored it. It comes up attached to the Home network (which I created) and attached to an unidentified Public network (which I did not). I'm attached to my DSL router (SpeedTouch 585) through an Ethernet cable. My computer does not have WiFi capability but a second computer is connected to the same router through WiFi.

Under these conditions I have no Internet connectivity. My workaround is to open the Network and Sharing Center and disable one of the Local Area Connections, effectively disabling both.
Capture2.PNG
I then run the Network troubleshooter to identify and correct the problem.
Capture4.PNG
Can anyone suggest a remedy for this problem?

I'm running Win 7 HP x64 fully patched.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Unidentified Network

Post by Claude »

I've had a similar problem on a customer site. I disabled the network connection, rebooted after turning off the modem. Then I re-enabled the connection, rebooted and then turned the modem back on. That seems to have fixed it.
I've also had problems with a laptop and no matter what I tried, nothing helped. So, I shut it down and removed the battery, went and fixed another problem, came back, put battery back in, started up and hey presto, everything worked fine.
Cheers, Claude.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Claude. Before I saw your reply I found this answer using Google that so far seems to work for me. It involves disabling the Apple Bonjour service. I'm keeping my fingers :crossfingers:.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

It's been over a week now and the problem has not reoccurred. Curse you, Steve Jobs!
Regards,
Paul

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:It's been over a week now and the problem has not reoccurred. Curse you, Steve Jobs!
Right, Paul!
So I guess you didn't rush out and get an iphone4 that only works if you hold it a certain way? SJ's fix to "just hold it a different way" didn't seem to be very professional. :artist: :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Yet I feel so conflicted... I fondled an iPad at a local store AND I WANT ONE!!
Regards,
Paul