MSCONFIG

Gloria E
5StarLounger

MSCONFIG

Post by Gloria E »

I found an article that said to disable Windows Defender by going to msconfig > tools > programs. After doing so I found that WD was not listed.

On the general tab I found that Selected Startup with load system services and load startup items ticked. My concern is why normal startup was not selected?
Will some knowledable person please explain why one was ticked and not the other. It seems to me that normal startup should be the default setup, am I wrong or is there some special reason for the way things are setup in msconfig? I did not make the selection I found. Could this be the reason WD isn't listed in Add/Remove either? I can disable in services, but I'd rather remove tools I don't need or use.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: MSCONFIG

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't bother removing Windows Defender, it's a part of Windows 7 and it takes up very little space. You can easily disable it from within the application: see How to disable Windows Defender in Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps Windows set this option because you had a crash? You could try selecting Normal Startup again...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When you change anything using MSConfig, the startup type get changed to Selected Startup.

In Windows 7, Windows Defender is considered part of the operating system and will not have its own entry in add/remove programs. Use the link Hans posted to disable it.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Perhaps Windows set this option because you had a crash? You could try selecting Normal Startup again...
Very good. Windows Defender is disabled and MSCONFIG is set to normal startup. :thankyou:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
HansV wrote:Perhaps Windows set this option because you had a crash? You could try selecting Normal Startup again...
Very good. Windows Defender is disabled and MSCONFIG is set to normal startup. :thankyou:

Gloria E
I think you will find that if you "disabled" WD by just unchecking it in msconfig and then went to General Tab and checked "Normal" startup, WD will be re-enabled again.
How did you disable WD?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:

Gloria E
I think you will find that if you "disabled" WD by just unchecking it in msconfig and then went to General Tab and checked "Normal" startup, WD will be re-enabled again.
How did you disable WD?
I found that WD wasn't listed in MSCONFIG therefore I went to Services > Properties and changed Startup type from manual to disabled. Next, in Service Status I stopped the service.''

A simple and easy fix. :clapping: