Why are people using "XP Mode?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Why are people using "XP Mode?

Post by DaveA »

I have been running Windows 7 since the Beta of it. I have of yet run into the requirement of having to use the XP Mode, or any other VMware stuff.

So why are you running XP Mode and/or any VMware program in Windows 7?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: Why are people using "XP Mode?

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, so I don't have XP mode, but I haven't encountered an application yet that wouldn't run on Windows 7 (in compatibility mode, if necessary).

However,I've heard about some computer games that refuse to run on Windows 7, even in compatibility mode. Presumably such games could be run in XP mode.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:...I haven't encountered an application yet that wouldn't run on Windows 7 (in compatibility mode, if necessary)...
One program that I can only run in XP mode is Sibelius 3. I know that Sibelius 6 would work on Windows 7, but the upgrade would cost me hundreds of pounds.

I also have a number of old games that only want to run in XP mode.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

XP Mode was designed for businesses where their highly-expensive legacy applications couldn't run on Windows 7, even in compatibility mode. For most people XP Mode seems like a dead end, particularly when you realise that the XP component needs updates and antivirus on top of those for Windows 7!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...