sp-1?

dasadler
5StarLounger

sp-1?

Post by dasadler »

Tried to install S/W today and was told system did not meet specs - needs to have windows 7, SP1.

How can I determine if SP1 is installed? We have Windows 7 64 bit and everything has always been fine.

If it turns out I need SP1, where can I get it?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: sp-1?

Post by HansV »

Click Start.
Type system in the search box and press Enter.
Choose System under Control Panel.
The version will be listed under Windows edition.

If you don't have SP1, you should be able to get it from Windows Update, or from Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932).
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thank you. This computer uses a lot of old S/W that would likely not be compatible with SP1 so we have been reluctant to apply any updates for fear of losing the ability to use those programs. Would we be able to create a system restore point such that we could roll back to it if we install SP1 and it has the negative impact we anticipate?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, it should be possible to use a restore point to roll back SP-1.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

dasadler wrote:...This computer uses a lot of old S/W that would likely not be compatible with SP1...
I'd be very surprised if SP1 would break stuff that already runs on Win 7 64bit RTM. Unless any security holes plugged by Win 7 SP1 somehow breaks the old software. That could happen, e.g. back in the day it was (still is) possible to install Office 97 on Win XP SP2 , even though XP SP2 plugged a security breach that broke a bit of Office 97 (a web feature if I remember correctly). Word 97, Excel 97 etc. all work OK in XP SP2, it's just one small bit doesn't function.

Surely though the security risks of leaving the system unpatched are considerable? Or is the PC in question never connected to the Internet?

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Ken

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Don