Win7 Microsoft Updates

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Win7 Microsoft Updates

Post by VegasNath »

Hello,
Recently installed Win7 to a machine and checked for updates, checking is now at >7 hours.
Anyone know of any known problems.

Thanks
Nathan
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win7 Microsoft Updates

Post by HansV »

Yes, this is a known problem. See Windows 7 Update solution for a detailed description of how to get rid of the slowness.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...how to get rid of the slowness.
My experience is that the fix in that link only worked once, i.e. when I used that trick my update time went from hour to minutes but the following month it was back to hours again. If you Google this problem you'll find various spells and incantations that are supposed to fix things but your mileage may vary.

I've given up on it and simply set my machine to check for updates and then go to bed. Sleeping is much more interesting that watching a progress bar. To date, the updates have been ready for installation the next morning and the actual installation process goes at a reasonable speed.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That sounds like a better idea than trying to fix the update process each month.

There was, of course, a conspiracy theory that Microsoft deliberately slowed down the scan for updates in Windows 7 in an attempt to push users to Windows 10, but recently some Windows 10 users have experienced the same problem... (I haven't noticed it though)
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Thanks both.

By time I saw Hans response yesterday, the checking finally completed and hundreds of updates were found. I installed them and continued checking for more. There were various failures along the way, but now all updates are installed. It was a painful process but we got there in the end.

I just carried out another check this morning which took seconds and returned nothing. Happy days :smile:

Nathan.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

HansV wrote:There was, of course, a conspiracy theory......
Yes, I was led to believe the same. :grin: