yet another thread about Win 7 updates

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

yet another thread about Win 7 updates

Post by stuck »

It appears that MS are doing something about sloooow updates on Win 7. I read about it here:
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/massive-ov ... -the-name/
and here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/307173 ... -pack.html
Other sources of opinion are available.

My first impression is that I won't be taking up this option as it will contain all the 'Recommended' updates as well as the 'Important' ones and I've always ignored/never installed the 'Recommended' ones and that strategy has kept my Win 7 system completely Win 10 nag free.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: yet another thread about Win 7 updates

Post by John Gray »

We have not heard yet whether the 'rollup' includes the infamous GWX and telemetry 'updates'...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Woody mentions in the article in stuck's first link:
Yes, the Windows 10 update enabling patches (new Windows update clients) are there. But the massive update respected my GWX Control Panel settings – on reboot, GWX icon isn’t there, KB 3035583 is the “optional” list and unchecked. No listing for installing Win10.
So yes, GWX is included but the existing blocks hold.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:We have not heard yet whether the 'rollup' includes the infamous GWX and telemetry 'updates'...
I should have been more explicit but it's because (as Hans has already clarified) that such features will be bundled in it that I said I'll almost certainly pass on this option.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

From the TechNet article:

"This convenience rollup package, available to download from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... ?q=3125574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, contains all the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 SP1 that are suitable for general distribution, up through April 2016. Install this one update, and then you only need new updates released after April 2016."

Thus, this would only be useful for people re-building a Win SP1 machine as long as they're caught up with patches.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I think I have had to do two or three recently, starting at Windows 7 SP1!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...