renaming files en mass

kwvh
3StarLounger

renaming files en mass

Post by kwvh »

This would probably be easy in the old DOS days, but in windows, I am at a loss.

We had staff save several hundred files using people's names, and included spaces. Is there a tool or utility, or code that I could use to loop through the directories and the files and remove the spaces?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: renaming files en mass

Post by HansV »

Try a utility such as AdvancedRenamer (free).
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ken,

My :2cents:

I have been using (#1) ReNamer for years. It has very flexible rules which allows one to literally rename any batch of files to very specific criteria. I use it from time to time for the more complex renaming rules, but if it comes to quick and simple renaming conditions, like yours where you just want to remove spaces, there is a wonderful feature built into a context menu tool and editor called (#2) File Menu Tools. If you access its Advanced Renaming module, it presents for quick and easy renaming capabilities on all the folders/files you select in Windows Explorer.
Both these apps are also free to download and use.

(#1) ReNamer
ReNamer.png
(#1) File Menu Tools
File Menu Tools.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Rudi and Hans,

THANK YOU. sorry for delay in responding. I have had to look for an Ark due to all this rain.

Ken