Windows Updates In Win 7

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Updates In Win 7

Post by hlewton »

I believe I have the way I want MS updates handles correctly. I want to be notified but decide if I want to install the updates. I will include an attachment just so it is clear the way these updates are to be handled. I am not getting any notifications when updates are available. Any reason why and what I need to do differently to get the notifications that updates are ready?

Thanks
Updates.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Updates In Win 7

Post by HansV »

That looks fine!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I though so too but it sure isn't working on any of the 3 Win 7 computers I have and they are all set the same way.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Weird...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Weird...
Yep but if anyone is going to be affected by weird stuff guess who it's going to be. :laugh:

Actually that is the only reason I posted an attachment so it was clear I wasn't crazy. Maybe that's really no proof. :scratch:
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

In searching the WEB apparently many, many others are having the same problem. Some are associating it to the Win 10 upgrade notification when the problem first occurred and it has continued ever since. I have found quite a bit of discussion on the subject but so far no solution. You'd think if this has been going on since July or August, as I too believe it has, MS surely knows about it but apparently doesn't care enough to make a solution available or at the very least easily found.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Is you machine on at 3:00 am every day?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:Is you machine on at 3:00 am every day?
No it isn't but I thought that was only necessary if updates were to be installed automatically. That option is greyed out for me in the settings window of the updates options. Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not sure how many here are still using Windows 7 but from all I have found and read this seems to be a universal problem. I did find an apparent solution Here but my anti-virus programs stop it from installing. I checked out the site it comes from and it appears to be a legitimate site but I still have to go by my warnings and not install the fix. I have found no other solutions so far.

On a side note: on one of may machines MS apparently unhid the KB3035583 update and reinstalled it once again putting that darn Win 10 icon in the systray. Again I had to uninstall it. Don't understand why MS does things like that. I know they are trying to force us to upgrade but they certainly are not making friends the way they go about it.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:Not sure how many here are still using Windows 7 but from all I have found and read this seems to be a universal problem.
Not for me. I have Win 7 Stater Ed on a netbook and my youngest son has Win 7 Home Premium on a laptop. Neither of us have ever been bothered with anything to do with Win 10, as in no nags in the sys tray, no weird behaviour, no failed updates, no problems at all...

I attribute this to the fact that from the outset, before either of these machines were ever allowed to connect to the outside world, I set Windows updates to ONLY give Important Updates and to NEVER check for updates automatically. Once those settings were in place as many manual checks were done as were needed to get them patched up to date. Thereafter they've had a manual check every month just before the next crop of patches are due out.

As the moment everything is still OK on both machines.

Ken