Questions about File Explorer and FastStone Capture

BobH
UraniumLounger

Questions about File Explorer and FastStone Capture

Post by BobH »

I've noticed 2 issues one of which I think is in File Explorer (Win 7). The other one might be in FastStone Capture.

In File Explorer, I've noticed that choosing Icons does not show a miniaturized image of pictures. I'm know I'm old not as sharp as I once was, but I'm pretty sure I used to see the miniaturized pics. I checked Tools>Options in FE and found nothing that would change the display. Am I right about being able to display the mini pics? If so, what do I need to do to make it happen.

When I do a screenshot with FastStone Capture and choose to Save As, I get a panel that pre-fills the file name. When I try to over type it or delete it (Date and time stamps etc) to use my own file name, the program shows Not Responding. Sometimes this will stop after a bit and sometimes it does not. Has anyone else experienced this and found what is causing the issue and how to solve it?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Questions about File Explorer and FastStone Capture

Post by BobH »

I found and resolved the pic thumbnail problem. When displaying a folder of pics there is an Organize menu option. Clicking that the clicking Folder and Search Options displays the Folder Options panel. Clicking the View tab in Folder Options displays Advanced Settings and the first option, Always Show Icons Never Thumbnails must be unchecked then click apply. Sure enough pics now display as thumbnails.

The FastStone Capture anomaly is still there.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Does it still show not responding if you clear out the predetermined save name in the settings?
Spoiler
FastStone-Capture.png
If the above is not the isue, see if cleaning out the %Temp% folder helps. (I'm not sure if Faststone uses the Temp folder, but its worth a try.) To do this, open the start menu and type %Temp% in the search box and press Enter. Clear out ALL files that occupy the folder that opens.

If that does not resolve, uninstall Faststone with Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall Faststone.

PS: Seems you had the same trouble with this application almost 3 months ago. Was it never resolved?
:whisper: Maybe its time to try PicPick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Senility has its advantages. I can hide my own Easter Eggs, too.

I downloaded PicPick and will give it a try.

Most of the stuff in my Temp folder was files in use by Dropbox. :scratch:

Thanks, Rudi
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If the temp folder becomes too full, it can produce strange issues in the apps that use it.
The contents of the temp folder are as the folders name suggests; "Temporary". The folder acts as a dumping ground for references to the files the apps use. When you use CCleaner (or similar) to clean your PC, this is one of the first cleansing tasks.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.