Clean up my computer

Garylee
NewLounger

Clean up my computer

Post by Garylee »

Hi Everybody:

My name is Garylee. I am just an old man who is trying to learn how to use my computer. I worked for the State of Oklahoma for twenty and always add access to computer experts to work on my computer. Now I am now retired and have to learn how to fix my computer myself. I have read Woody Leonhart's Windows 7 for Garylee from cover to cover (Step 1), and I did learn a lot.

Eight now my computer, an HP, is beginning to get slow again. Can someone tell me what I need to do to clean up my computer?

Thank you for listening to me. And I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Clean up my computer

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

In the first place, make sure that there is no malware/spyware on your computer. I assume that you have an antivirus program. Keep it up to date and run a scan regularly.
A good addition to an antivirus program is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The free version is sufficient, but if you wish you can get the paid version which has extra features.

Another thing to check is how many programs start up automatically when you (re)start Windows. A simple and free utility that lets you do this is WhatInStartup.
If you see programs in it that you definitely don't want/don't need to start automatically, you can disable them.

In general, install only programs that you really need and use; don't collect utilities just because it's nice to have them.

CCleaner is a free utility that removes temporary files and other junk left behind by programs. Before you run the cleaner, take a bit of time to inspect the settings - don't turn on all check boxes indiscriminately.
For example, if you have Microsoft Office, and if you tick the check box for Microsoft Office in CCleaner, it will clear the lists of recently opened documents in Word, Excel etc., so only tick this check box if you're sure you want that.
Also, in Options > Cookies, you can specify which cookies should NOT be deleted. For example, if you ticked the option to automatically log you on here in Eileen's Lounge, you should add the eileenslounge.com cookie to the list of cookies to keep.
With these precautions, CCleaner is a safe and efficient program.

Here are some tips from Microsoft: Optimize Windows for better performance.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Garylee,

Welcome to the lounge. :smile:

Cleaning a PC can be a broad term, but the first thing that comes to mind is to download and frequently use a free application called CCleaner. Once downloaded, just run it and it will clean up your PC quite effectively. It does not remove applications or files, just temporary stuff that collects on your drive over time.

Another option of cleaning is to delete applications that you do not use or need. A very good application to help here is called Revo Uninstaller Free. Of course, it is important to only delete apps you have installed and know you don't need. If in doubt, ask or leave it there.

For more details on cleaning your PC, have a look at this great article from HowTo-Geek

Happy cleaning.... :)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Garylee
NewLounger

Post by Garylee »

Thank you very much. I will try these.