Where are the Registry Hack Links?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Where are the Registry Hack Links?

Post by BobH »

Eight or 10 weeks ago I sat down to install my SSD and set the system up so that only system files (Windows and Program Files and things like them) would be on the SSD and my data would be placed on another drive. Someone (CRS prevents recall and proper credit) pointed me to an article that gave a list of Registry hacks that would accomplish that goal. I followed it and all was well until I - foolishly - tried to upgrade to Win 10. But . . . you've suffered through that sad story with me. :sad:

Now that I have reinstalled a clean Win 7, I need to do those Registry hacks again; but I cannot find a thread in which they were discussed. Needless to say I don't remember where the hacks were posted. I looked at every thread I started from the beginning of May to the beginning of July and cannot find the information.

Would some kind soul just shoot me and put me out of my misery please help me find the thread or threads? I really need to take care of moving the Documents, Pics, Videos, Downloads, et al from the SSD to another internal HDD.

Getting old is tough enough without adding senility . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Where are the Registry Hack Links?

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:Eight or 10 weeks ago I sat down to install my SSD and set the system up so that only system files (Windows and Program Files and things like them) would be on the SSD and my data would be placed on another drive.
Cannot help you on the Registry hacks but there are a few ways to move / store data and personal files on other drives.

The contents of Dropbox and OneDrive can be relocated to drives other than your SSD. For Dropbox, open up the app, select Preferences, Account and change the location. For OneDrive, right click on OneDrive, select Properties and then the Location Tab.

The same can be done for the Document folder containing system stored pictures, music etc. Open up your User Account in File Explorer, highlight Documents, right click, select Properties and then the Location tab.

For applications like MS Office, each of their apps has the ability to relocate the files to another drive.

Over to you...
Regards,
Bob

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Where are the Registry Hack Links?

Post by stuck »

I've never resorted to reg hacks to keep data separate from application files. For the Win 7 Docs, Pictures, etc. folders start here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
For Office, you want Tools | Options |Advanced and then the file location settings.

Every other app has a similar option to set a default save location.

Does this help?

Ken