Windows Update Hangs Up

jstevens
GoldLounger

Windows Update Hangs Up

Post by jstevens »

I have done a fresh install of Windows 7 in a virtual environment and am in the process of performing Windows Updates. I have downloaded 200 updates and ran into a memory challenge while the updates are installing. The installation hangs at 187 out of 200. Do I stop the installation or let it continue? If I stop it, what happens to those updates that have already been installed? Are they backed out? What happens if I try to "check for updates" after the installation is stopped?
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Update Hangs Up

Post by HansV »

Most likely, Windows Update will continue where it left off.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

I tried stopping the installation and the process would not terminate due to the memory challenge. I was able to restart Windows 7 and during the restart it tries to install update 187 of 200 and of course the install froze. I then was able to restart into safe mode and then encountered this message. I'll let it complete and see where I stand.
el_pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Next time, don't let Windows Update perform all updates in one go; select, say, 30 updates and run them, then select the next 30, etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

I was able to increase the amount of memory allocated to the virtual environment and have now crossed the threshold of the Windows Update hanging up at 178 of 200. I'm currently at 183 of 200 and it looks as if it will complete all 200 updates. One odd thing is that windows did not reset or back out the 200 updates as stated in the screenshot I previously posted.

When I tried Han's suggestion of only selecting 30 or so it did not matter as all 200 kept trying to be installed. I could not reduce the number of items to upgrade by unchecking them.
Regards,
John