Systray Notifications

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Systray Notifications

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have a desktop that looks very much like that in Windows 7: you can place shortcuts to your favorite programs on the desktop, or pin them to the taskbar. The notification area (aka systray) is still in the lower right corner.

Windows 10 reintroduces the Start menu that was missing in Windows 8 and 8.1. It doesn't look exactly like the one in Windows 7. It's a mixture of the old Start menu and the Windows 8 Start screen.
Thanks Hans for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:hlewton,
The next time this icon reappears click on it. There you will fine 3 blue bars in the upper left area of the window. Click on the bars and then click "Click your PC" and you will be told if there are any issues with hardware and software.
DaveA thanks. This is good to know. I may just go back and reinstall that patch so I can get that information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
DaveA wrote:hlewton,
The next time this icon reappears click on it. There you will fine 3 blue bars in the upper left area of the window. Click on the bars and then click "Click your PC" and you will be told if there are any issues with hardware and software.
DaveA thanks. This is good to know. I may just go back and reinstall that patch so I can get that information.
I just reinstalled the update, checked it using the steps above, and it ended up asking if I wanted to reserve my copy of Win 10 but it did not check any software or hardware other than the computer itself. It said to check back at a later date. I have no idea why it wouldn't check the software but am wondering if maybe it won't check the hardware, especially the printers, because they are all assigned a static IP on my network. Could that be the reason that check did not see the printers?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I found this after reading through MS's FAQs about Windows 10:
Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices -- so your device is most likely compatible.

For details on your specific device and apps, you can use the Get Windows 10 app to do a compatibility check. Click the menu in the upper left of the app, and select “Check your PC” or “Your PC is good to go.” This displays any compatibility issues we find and recommends a resolution; while we don’t have info on every app or device in existence, it provides a comprehensive list of all known potential compatibility issues.

Some Windows 10 features will require advanced hardware and not all features and services are available on every device, nor in every market. For instance, Cortana is not available in all markets.
I hate to make assumptions especially where MS is concerned but this seems to indicate that unless there is something specific listed my devises and software are compatible with Win 10. Still this assumption is based on this check being able to check the printers that are assigned a static IP on my network so the question is still the same as above. If anyone knows, will this compatibility check be able to see and check the compatibility of these network printers?
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I reserved a copy of Windows 10, but unlike Viking Bob I am not an insider so have not yet received a copy. Part of my motivation for installing the SSD was to prepare for Win 10.

Speaking of Win 10, I read somewhere that Microsoft has stated that this will be the last new OS they will produce. I'm certain that they are not getting out of the OS business; so I guess that statement means that they will continue support for 10 in perpetuity (however long that is in the computer business).

Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

continue support for 10 in perpetuity.....or two years, whichever comes first! :innocent: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

To sum up gents, is the advice to simply wait till the year is almost up then upgrade for free or stick with W7? Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave, if I were in your place, I'd wait until Windows 10 has been out for 6 months or so. That will give Microsoft time to iron out the initial kinks.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Dave, if I were in your place, I'd wait until Windows 10 has been out for 6 months or so. That will give Microsoft time to iron out the initial kinks.
Sounds like great advise to me. I think I'll follow it myself.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

My 2¢ (or maybe less): I'm in the Insider program and I've been running all the builds as they arrive, in a virtual machine. The latest build -- with the general release due in 16 days -- is still giving me problems. I don't know whether they're caused by Windows 10 or by VirtualBox (which still doesn't officially support Win10), but I'm not yet impressed with the quality. I'll continue to run Windows 7 on my desktop computer and my wife's machine and Windows 8.1 on a laptop for at least 6 months, and longer if I don't like what I see in the virtual machine at that point.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:My 2¢ (or maybe less): I'm in the Insider program and I've been running all the builds as they arrive, in a virtual machine. The latest build -- with the general release due in 16 days -- is still giving me problems. I don't know whether they're caused by Windows 10 or by VirtualBox (which still doesn't officially support Win10), but I'm not yet impressed with the quality. I'll continue to run Windows 7 on my desktop computer and my wife's machine and Windows 8.1 on a laptop for at least 6 months, and longer if I don't like what I see in the virtual machine at that point.
Thank you Jay Freedman. If you do end up liking it I hope you then report back here so we will have help in deciding what to do.
Regards,
hlewton

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Hans, just as I thought. Cheers Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:My 2¢ (or maybe less): I'm in the Insider program and I've been running all the builds as they arrive, in a virtual machine. The latest build -- with the general release due in 16 days -- is still giving me problems. I don't know whether they're caused by Windows 10 or by VirtualBox (which still doesn't officially support Win10), but I'm not yet impressed with the quality. I'll continue to run Windows 7 on my desktop computer and my wife's machine and Windows 8.1 on a laptop for at least 6 months, and longer if I don't like what I see in the virtual machine at that point.
Jay,
In my first post in this thread, I mentioned that Win 10 was compatible with all of my current hardware but I didn't exactly say I was totally impressed with the new OS itself. I have been very patient with the various builds as they were released, hoping that this would be the one that really impressed me. That hasn't yet been the case sadly but it is still a Work In Progress, so hope springs eternal. I'll still hang on to Win 7 as my primary OS and see how things go.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.