windows 7 issues with web sites

sciencemagic
StarLounger

windows 7 issues with web sites

Post by sciencemagic »

I keep having trouble with either I.E. or Firefox, but more so I.E. when I try and load a web site, and it takes longer than normal to load, I get the message that the web site is not responding, or I get the message script is taking too long. I have done some of the suggestions of using CCleaner and using Malwarebytes. And, it appears that hasn't done any good to solve the problem. Any suggestions as to what I may try now? This problem is very constant, and is getting annoying. Can someone help? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: windows 7 issues with web sites

Post by HansV »

Do you have this problem on specific websites? If so, which ones?
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HanzV,

Thank you for your reply. I have the problem on many web sites. I can almost tell when I'll get the messages because it takes a long time for the site to get going. Examples of sites are: weatherunderground, just about any yahoo site, classmates, CNBC finance, Milwaukee journal, weather.com, kellybluebook. Frankly, there are many. I believe the problem happens to more sites than it doesn't happen to, to be honest. Hope you can help, because this issue is only getting worse I believe. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What is your internet speed according to http://www.speedtest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? It's best to close other browser tabs and e-mail clients while running the tests, and to run the test a few times, with some time in between.
a) Does the speed (in particular the download speed) correspond to what your ISP (internet service provider) promises?
b) Is the speed fairly constant, or does it vary wildly between runs?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

sciencemagic wrote:I keep having trouble with either I.E. or Firefox...
You might try shutting down the modem for a few minutes and then power up. Sometimes rebooting the modem can resolve some issues.

If using a Wi-Fi connection are there any devices in the near vincinity that could cause interference? If the Wi-Fi is running on the 2.4GHz band there are many household devices that can interfere with the signal.
Regards,
Bob

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HanzV,

I ran the tests you suggested and these are the results: The download seemed to vary, it was 41.30, 57.97, 35.73. on 3 tries. The upload was: 9.98, 7.51, 11.10. Not sure what my provider is promising frankly, but it is suppose to be very high speed. What do you think of the results? Could they be a problem? Thanks for your reply, HanzV.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

BobArch2,

I may try your suggestion after HanzV reply, Bob. Thank you for your reply. What do you think of the speed tests and consistency? Thank you.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

sciencemagic wrote:BobArch2,

I may try your suggestion after HanzV reply, Bob. Thank you for your reply. What do you think of the speed tests and consistency? Thank you.
If those tests were run one after the other, or even a few minutes apart, I would have expected to see more consistency. Meaning less of a variance. The speedtest site is usually very reliable in picking out an appropriate server for testing purposes. With my experience I have not seen it change server sites when retesting. Changing of a site could cause a variance but I am assuming that you let speedtest do its thing and sites did not vary.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The results vary more than I would expect; on the other hand, even the worst of them (35.73 Mb/s download, 7.51 Mb/s upload) are still very decent speeds that shouldn't cause the problems that you mention. Try Bob's suggestion of turning the modem/router off for a few minutes.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

BobArch2,

Yes, I used the site suggested by HanzV and I too was surprised by the variance. But, not knowing what to expect, I wasn't sure about the variance. But both you and HanzV seem to think the variance is more than expected. Just what does the bigger than normal variance mean about my service provider, HanzV and BobArch2? I will try shutting off the modem as you suggest, Bob. Thank you both for your reply.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It could mean that you share your internet connection with other users. So when few others are active, you get the maximum speed, but when others are busy, speed goes down.
(I just performed 3 tests with Speedtest.net; download speeds were 48.85, 48.86 and 48.84 Mb/s - pretty stable, as you see)

But it could also mean that your modem is running low on free memory. That is usually corrected by turning it off for a few minutes, then on again. Hence the recommendation to test that.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HanzV,

Thanks for your reply. I performed the speed test again, about 6 hours after I turned off my modem for about half an hour. The results are now: 39.60, 40.14 and 47.47. Better, but certainly not as consistent as yours. I don't know if the results were because of rebooting of my modem, or just the idiosyncrasy of the system? I guess only time will tell. I will try the speed test again in a few days to see what happens then. In the mean time, I will contact my provider about the erratic speeds, and see what they have to say. I suspect they will have convoluted answer I won't understand? Thanks again, HanzV.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All in all, your download speed is pretty good - it should be sufficient to browse most sites.
Do you still have the problem of pages taking a very long time to load after you restarted your modem?
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HanzV,

I'll let you know about the page loading issue after I try using my computer for a few days after restarting my modem. Thank you for your help and responses, HanzV. I'll let you know in a few days if the problem has gotten better, or remains the same.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HanzV,

After using my computer for the last couple of days, I'm still having the same problem with slowness, web sites not responding and long running script. As I mentioned earlier, I did install and use Malwarebytes and CCleaner. But frankly, they made no difference what so ever. Any suggestions now? The slowness of my computer is actually getting worse I believe. This problem is on 2 different web browsers and many web sites, so I wouldn't think it is a web site issue or possibly browser either? I'm not a computer wizard by any means, but I suspect it may be my system (Windows 7)? Is this a possibility, or am I all wet? Again, any help would be appreciated anyone. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's puzzling - your internet speed is very decent; since you've run Malwarebytes, it is very unlikely that your system contains malware, and since you've run CCleaner, it's unlikely that your system is clogged by temporary files.

In your previous thread, you were given some tips to speed up browsing. Among them was a suggestion to disable that you don't need/use. Have you tried disabling ALL add-ons to see if that makes a difference?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Sciencemagic: May I ask what anti-virus you are running in the background?
I've found that running Webroot with the browser add-on activated tends to really slow down web connections - Webroot tends to verify the web link before letting the browser through.
I don't think your problem is windows, but something added onto your browser.
Makes sense?
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans,

Yes, I too am confused as to why my system is not as fast as it should be. I actually checked, l and my internet speed is 100 MBPS. When I go to the tools tab and click on add-ons, I see get the screen that says: add-ons, extensions, appearance, plug-ins and services. When I click on add-ons I really don't see what is installed it seems. How do I check and uninstall my add-ons? Thanks, Hans.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

BobL,

The anti-virus I am running I believe is Microsoft security essentials, if it is in fact a anti-virus protection, BobL? Thanks, BobL.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Everything listed when you click on Extensions or on Plugins is installed.
For each extension, there is a Disable button:
S0429.png
For each plugin, there is a dropdown with 3 options: Ask to Activate, Always Activate, and Never Activate. To disable a plugin, select Never Activate.
S0430.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans