HPLocale.exe

RonH
SilverLounger

HPLocale.exe

Post by RonH »

Our AV (AvastFree) has identified this as a 'virus' they call Win32:Malware-gen and placed the file in its 'secure box'. The file came from C:\HP\BIN and I did a search to find out more about it.
https://www.google.no/webhp?sourceid=ch ... Locale.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems there are conflicting comments but if it came from the Win32 location then it is probably a false/positive error of Avast. I have checked on the Avast Forum site and sent a copy of the file for evaluation. I am convinced that it is an error by Avast (as are others) and this is supported (In my mind :grin: ) because both our HP pc's when Avast conducted the weekly runs came up with the same 'virus'. Big coincidence and others are starting to report the same problem.

What do our experts think and what is this file really used for in Win32?

Thanks
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: HPLocale.exe

Post by HansV »

I don't trust (most of) the results of that Google search; you'll get something similar for almost any .dll or .exe filename.

It's most likely to be a genuine HP file and the warning is probably a false positive.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Does the properties of HPLocale.exe mention HP as the manufacturer/provider Ron? (select file, right-click and look at properties)
Cheers, Claude.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Capture.JPG
Thanks for your comments folks. This is the stated 'Properties' but of course it is looking at the file relegated to the 'safe'. It was extracted from its correct location in Win32 so I do not think it is an addition.
Like you Hans, I have doubts about some of these searches ... seems a lot of the 'You have problems' web pages are simply peddling software.
Lets see if any more comment comes up on the Avast site. For the time being I will leave the file quarantined unless I find that the pc malfunctions due to a missing .exe
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just to hand ...
Capture.JPG
Seems they have rectified the issue after they received my file.
Thanks for taking time out to help.
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a quick reaction from Avast. Glad it's been solved.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I'm impressed by the response Ron :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.