cant change file association to open .acsm

jaystarter
3StarLounger

cant change file association to open .acsm

Post by jaystarter »

trying to open an ebook from a download link. It's an .ACSM file and keeps trying to open using Overdrive Media Console which wont work as it should open with Adobe Digital Editions. I've tried changing the open with but when I select the digitaleditions.exe nothing happens and it reverts back to Overdrive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Digital twice but no luck. Am I doing something wrong? The screen shot shows I've tried adobe reader also but that wont work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: cant change file association to open .acsm

Post by HansV »

Try the following:
- In Windows Explorer, right-click a .acsm file.
- Select Open With > Choose Default Program... from the context menu.
- If Adobe Digital Editions is listed, select it.
- Otherwise, click Browse...
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 4.0, select DigitalEditions.exe and click OK.
- Make sure that you tick the check box "Always use this program to open this kind of file".
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thank you yes that is what I have been doing as in screen shot. then when I click "open" having selected Digital editions.exe it just goes back to the same state.
Jeff

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

At first glance, it seems you need to authorize the file...

See this page for details: How to open acsm file / cannot open acsm file

In addition:
File used by Adobe Digital Editions, a program used to manage and read eBooks as well as other digital publications; contains data to activate and download an eBook but does not contain the eBook itself; used to authorize, legally download, and read purchased eBooks in Digital Editions.

ACSM files are served to Digital Editions by Adobe Content Server. They can be opened directly in Digital Editions.

Most Digital Editions users will not encounter an ACSM file. If you do find an ACSM file, it most likely means that the download of your book was interrupted. You can double-click the ACSM file to resume the download and open the file in Digital Editions. The ACSM file will be located wherever your browser saves downloaded files.
Source of quote here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Well I'll be. :clapping: ......spot on Rudi. Create an Adobe account and link it to Digitalreader. Still tries to use Overdrive from a link or double clicking to open, but with Digitalreader open drag the .acsm file into library or copy and paste and download OK.
Jeff