External hard drive not recognised, i.e. file system is RAW

Argus
GoldLounger

External hard drive not recognised, i.e. file system is RAW

Post by Argus »

Hi everyone.
I am helping a relative with some computer problems. In this case it is an external 2 TB backup hard drive connected to a Windows 7 laptop, and for some reason the file system isn't recognised, i.e. it says RAW, thus Windows consider it not formated, and with a capacity of only 298 GB.

(As for sub forums I considered either "Hardware" or "Windows 7"; but since it's about Windows' file system, I opted for the latter, please move the thread if/when it's in the wrong place.)

My question is if anyone have any suggestions about programs etc.

I have only had a brief look at the laptop with the drive connected. A "quick" first test with PC Inspector file recovery, only checking a couple of hundred MBs, as expected it took some time, found quite many files. Since Windows has problems understanding the file system the "recovered" files all had the same size, and only a couple could be opened (after being saved to another drive, such as one of the partitions on the laptop).

As mentioned just a brief look so far, but there seems to be no mechanical problems; probably no malware; it could be a result of not using "safe removal" etc.

What could be the best path forward?

There are several different software, such as TestDisk that allegedly can restore, or recreate FAT, BS etc. Or one could perhaps use Windows' tools such as bootrec?

I'm in "holiday-mode" at the moment, and away from my own computers, so grateful for any suggestions.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: External hard drive not recognised, i.e. file system is

Post by Claude »

Is that the only laptop available or can you try plugging the drive into another PC / laptop ?
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have never used iCare Data Recovery Free, but it claims to recover files from RAW partitions (and it claims not to have a recovery limit).
The tech pages mention it does not recover images (in the free version)
If you can recover all other files with this...and then use MiniTool Partition Wizard or EaseUS to recover images based on their limited 1 or 2 GB free recovery, you could get most of your data el cheapo. :grin:

Homepage here
Technical specs here
Comparisons and Download here

As usual, watch out for any junkware during installation (if you choose to test this option)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hi Argus,
When you get back from holiday mode.
Has this HD been connected to this same laptop or is it's the first time and used elsewhere?
Check out Easeus freebies at http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Partition Master 10.6 would be my first look and at the same site is Data Recovery Wizard 8.6, which claims to recover all the current file systems including RAW, with the largest recovery capacity.
I've used Partition Master but have not used the Recovery Wizard. Easeus has a good rep and I would not hesitate to use their products.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Claude wrote:Is that the only laptop available or can you try plugging the drive into another PC / laptop ?
Hi Claude. There is only this laptop available now but I think he tried with another borrowed laptop earlier, and still no go as per above. I think he also tried different USB ports on the laptop, and using a powered USB-hub.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thanks, Rudi; will take a look at that software.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hello Bob.
The drive has been used with this laptop many times, this (the problem with the file system) happened after a journey.

I knew Easus had something, I have been using their partition tools for quite some time. Will take a look again. Thank you.