VB Script Error 2738

Gloria E
5StarLounger

VB Script Error 2738

Post by Gloria E »

While trying to install IncrediMail the installation stops and this message appears: Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action. Upon contacting IM I was told that this was not a program problem, but was an error on my system.
I need something that will allow the error to not appear, like a fix for VBScript which I have not found on my computer or a place to install it.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Re: VB Script Error 2738

Post by Charlotte »

Have you searched the web on that particular error, Gloria? There are numerous references to it, although not to the specific application you're trying to install. Take a look at this article in particular, since it gives instructions for registering the runtime on your machine.
Charlotte

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:While trying to install IncrediMail the installation stops and this message appears: Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action. Upon contacting IM I was told that this was not a program problem, but was an error on my system.
I need something that will allow the error to not appear, like a fix for VBScript which I have not found on my computer or a place to install it.

Gloria E
It looks like Charlotte beat me to it with an answer. Here is a clip from another source that more or less says the same thing.
--------------------------------------
This error message indicates that the VBScript engine is not currently registered on the machine where the install/uninstall is taking place.

You can try these steps if you have not tried these steps in elevated mode.

The VBScript engine can be quickly registered by following these steps:

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator

1.1 Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories

1.2 Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

2. If you are using 32-bit version of Windows:

Type cd %windir%\system32 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

If you are using 64-bit version of Windows:

Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

3. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

4. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

For more details refer to :

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/20 ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Charlotte wrote:Have you searched the web on that particular error, Gloria? There are numerous references to it, although not to the specific application you're trying to install. Take a look at this article in particular, since it gives instructions for registering the runtime on your machine.
Thank you so much, Your Majesty. I followed your directions exactly and lo and behold, this message appeared:
DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll suceeded.
Now I'll try the download again and hope and pray that the problem is no longer a problem :clapping:
If it works, I'd like to buy you an ice cream soda. Thanks again and I'll let you know if my program installs this time. :thankyou:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:While trying to install IncrediMail the installation stops and this message appears: Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action. Upon contacting IM I was told that this was not a program problem, but was an error on my system.

Gloria E
It looks like Charlotte beat me to it with an answer. Here is a clip from another source that more or less says the same thing.
--------------------------------------
This error message indicates that the VBScript engine is not currently registered on the machine where the install/uninstall is taking place.

You can try these steps if you have not tried these steps in elevated mode.

The VBScript engine can be quickly registered by following these steps:

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator

1.1 Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories

1.2 Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

2. If you are using 32-bit version of Windows:

Type cd %windir%\system32 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

If you are using 64-bit version of Windows:

Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

3. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

4. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

For more details refer to :

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/20 ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Bob,
Her Majesty did indeed beat you to it and her solution seems to have paid off. The Dll was registered, now to try and install my misbehaving install file again.

Gloria E

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Gloria E wrote:
Charlotte wrote:Have you searched the web on that particular error, Gloria? There are numerous references to it, although not to the specific application you're trying to install. Take a look at this article in particular, since it gives instructions for registering the runtime on your machine.
Thank you so much, Your Majesty. I followed your directions exactly and lo and behold, this message appeared:
DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll suceeded.
Now I'll try the download again and hope and pray that the problem is no longer a problem :clapping:
If it works, I'd like to buy you an ice cream soda. Thanks again and I'll let you know if my program installs this time. :thankyou:

Gloria E
I'm devastated to have to report that IncrediMail did not install.The same error message reappeared. That VB Script Runtime problem is driving me up a wall. Looks like I need more help. :sad:

Gloria E

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do you save the install file on your PC?

Do right click the install file and select "run as administrator"?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software before running the installation?

Have you tried running the installation in safe mode?

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:Do you save the install file on your PC?

Do right click the install file and select "run as administrator"?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software before running the installation?

Have you tried running the installation in safe mode?

Joe
I will try and select as you suggested. My anti-virus program has not been installed yet. I'm saving that to last so that it will not interfere with all the installations I have to perform. I have not tried Safe Mode, but I will.

Thank you for you suggestions.

Gloria E