Windows Update not working

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Update not working

Post by Gloria E »

Not automatic updates, I mean the one where you click the shortcut on the desktop. It worked right after I started using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, today it's gone South. I want to download it if possible. I did a search on Google but all I found was discussing Automatic Update, which I refuse to use. :help:

Please direct me to download site.

Thanks in advance,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows Update not working

Post by JoeP »

What deksktop shortcut do you mean? Can you provide a screenshot? What do you mean by "gone south"? Is there an error message? Have you checked the Event Logs?

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select Start Menu | Control Panel. You should be able to find Windows Update there.
Alternatively, start Internet Explorer 8 and select Tools | Windows Update.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

On a Windows 7 system, Windows Update can be found at "Start, All programs", and scroll to it.

Also note, that Microsoft has remove the capabilty of Pinning it to the Main area of the start menu.
Microsoft has NOT had an icon on the desktop as far as I can remember, if you had one there, it was because it was added by you or the OEM of the machine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Select Start Menu | Control Panel. You should be able to find Windows Update there.
Alternatively, start Internet Explorer 8 and select Tools | Windows Update.
The Windows Update in Control Panel starts Automatic Updates which I don't want to use. In the other lounge I saw many posts about not using automatic updates.

The one under IE tools only has an Install Updates button, I want to do like I did in Windows XP and review them before I blindly install them. I didn't cllck the button because I was afraid that the updates (unreviewed) would start installing.

For Joe P: The term "gone South" is slang meaning disappeared, dropped from view, etc. If there is no Windows Update shortcut it could hardly generate an error message, could it? Nor would I be able to create screen shot. :scratch:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:On a Windows 7 system, Windows Update can be found at "Start, All programs", and scroll to it.

Also note, that Microsoft has remove the capabilty of Pinning it to the Main area of the start menu.
Microsoft has NOT had an icon on the desktop as far as I can remember, if you had one there, it was because it was added by you or the OEM of the machine.
See my reply to Hans. Your suggestion takes me to the same place as the second one suggested by Hans. I did have Windows Update pinned to the start menu while using Windows XP (not put there by me).

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria,

Woody Leonhard has been discouraging people from using updates for years without a good reason. Seven years ago or so this may have been good advice, but times have changed. I've been installing all updates as they come out for a long time now, both at home and at work, and I haven't experienced any problems. Now that I have Windows 7, I have automatic updates turned on, without any problems either.

The link in Internet Explorer takes you to the Windows Update control panel, as does the Start Menu item. If you haven't turned on automatic updates, you *can* review the updates before installing them, and select which ones you want.
Best wishes,
Hans