Resize Partition

jstevens
GoldLounger

Resize Partition

Post by jstevens »

I ran into a challenge where I would like to decrease the size of my "C Drive" partition. I have a 1T drive and the C Drive is at 450G while I am only using 40G of space. I also have extended partitions which are just fine.

When I try to shrink it by say 10G, I am unable to proceed any further. I'm in the process of running a CHKDSK on the drive to see if that will fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John
Regards,
John

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Resize Partition

Post by viking33 »

jstevens wrote:I ran into a challenge where I would like to decrease the size of my "C Drive" partition. I have a 1T drive and the C Drive is at 450G while I am only using 40G of space. I also have extended partitions which are just fine.

When I try to shrink it by say 10G, I am unable to proceed any further. I'm in the process of running a CHKDSK on the drive to see if that will fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John
John,
What are you using to attempt the resize? Acronis Disk Director or Storage Protect or another utility?
I have used Disk Director 10 for a long time with good success ( Disk Director 11 is now in Beta ) Others like Storage Protect. I must admit I have not tried it on a drive the size of 1T.
When you say " unable to proceed any further," exactly what happens? Error messages or just freeze up or what?
Try to give us as much info as possible.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hi Bob,

I'm attempting to resize my "C Drive" [SATA Drive] from 450G to 80G. Windows 7's Disk Management allows one to "Shrink Volume" without using 3rd Party software.

Here is a screenshot:
Capture.PNG
Notice that I can only enter the amount of space to shrink in MB. If I enter 10000 (10GB) the "Shrink" button still remains greyed out.

The message about unmovable files does not make sense as I should have plenty of free clusters for the resizing. I tried doing a CHKDSK and repair; results were fine. I have Acronis Disk Director Full Version and tried that but it could not find the drive.

Regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
John

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

I changed the BIOS for the SATA drive to Native IDE and rebooted to the Acronis software. I now can see the various partitions of the drive and am in the process of resizing the drive.

Definitely an interesting process to make it work.

Regards,
John :smile: :compute:
Regards,
John