Why I still have a XP machine!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Why I still have a XP machine!

Post by DaveA »

We have 2 XP machines, 2 Vista machines, 2 Windows 7 machines, but we still need the one XP machine for the following reasons:

1. HP printer using a parallel cable, no USB available.
2. Epson 1640 scanner NO Vista or Windows drivers
3. has a 300 gig drive that works great as a file server
4 Has a 3.5 inch floppy, I still run across one once in while
Last edited by DaveA on 25 Jan 2010, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Why I still have a XP machine!

Post by John Gray »

DaveA wrote:We have 2 XP machines, 2 Vista machines, 2 Windows 7 machines, but we still need the one XP machine for the following reasons:

1. HP printer using a parallel cable, no USB available.
2. Epson 1640 scanner NO Vista or Windows drivers
3. has a 300 gig drive that works great as a file server
4 Has a 3 1/5 inch floppy, I still run across one once in while
I would inform the Computer Museum of Reason 4 - they may be interested. Me, I have a 3½" diskette drive! :grin:
And yes, diskettes are still useful for putting on systems-admin-type programs which stupid AV checkers think are Dangerous, and turning on the write-protect tab. If you get an error message on running one of these programs, you can just turn the AV program off, since it hasn't wiped/quarantined/immobilised the program, since it can't! And then you can just run the program again, this time properly.
Would that you could write-protect USB Flash Drives...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

My XP still has a 3.5" drive as well and I won't get rid of it (yet). I have a desk drawer full of all my old mIRC friends, photos, songs etc. on these disks from the wogey days. My daughter has an external 3.5 drive for access on her Vista laptop. Every once-in-a-while it's a heady experience sticking them in and being taken back to the OLDE times of first starting out.
Last edited by Hey Jude on 24 Jan 2010, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a 3.5" floppy drive with a USB cable that sits on a shelf and gets attached to any computer that needs it - about once a year on average I think. I have tested that it works on my quad core Windows 7 PC.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:My XP still has a 3.5" drive as well and I won't get rid of it (yet). Every once-in-a-while it's a heady experience sticking them in and being taken back to the OLDE times of first starting out.
I agree. the floppy has made the cut in a number of my hardware upgrades so far.
I'm thinking of replacing the 8 track tape player in my car though and possibly the rotary dial wall phone in the kitchen. Don't want to rush these things. :laugh:

BTW, glad to see you made the transition to the real lounge here. :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:My XP still has a 3.5" drive as well and I won't get rid of it (yet). Every once-in-a-while it's a heady experience sticking them in and being taken back to the OLDE times of first starting out.
I agree. the floppy has made the cut in a number of my hardware upgrades so far.
I'm thinking of replacing the 8 track tape player in my car though and possibly the rotary dial wall phone in the kitchen. Don't want to rush these things. :laugh:

BTW, glad to see you made the transition to the real lounge here. :clapping:
There is no doubt that this is the "real lounge." How can you possibly replace the Carpenters on the 8 track tapes???? arghhhhhhhh I have repeatedly accused my boss of being a Luddite, but I think the truth of the matter is, I secretly enjoy the antiquity of these accoutrements indeed :flee: :clapping: :laugh:

Thanks for the warm welcome~!~!~!~! :thankyou:

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I still have XP, because the software which runs on almost every Subway POS is not compatible with any version of Widnows past XP.

They are talking about new software, but it might take a while.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I have XP machines <two of them> yet because my "old" stuff is still running fairly well, at least one of them is set up the way I want and I'm too cheap to part with any :money: for upgrades in hardware or software! :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I love how my 2 XPs are set up as well. I am having a ton of fun with the Win 7 laptop as well as the Vista, but I do my best typing on the XP. Howdy Buckeye!~~!~!

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I have XP installed on my tri-boot machine as well as a virtual machine, plus the XP virtual machine on Win 7. My box has a floppy drive and I can't ever see getting rid of it. There may come a day that it will be useless, but I'll archive it for old times sake. I've still got Win 98SSE hanging around too for nostalgia.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

I must confess, that my work machine still has XP because they wouldn't let me order it with Win 7 until we were all ready to switch! Personally, I much prefer Windows 7 (Vista yuck) to XP and have upgraded to it (read clean install) on my personal laptop. Since my laptop is only a year old, it doesn't have eight-track players or diskette drives, and I don't miss them! :thumbup:
Charlotte

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

On a personal note, it's good to see you're back Charlotte.

As distinct from other places, where they tell you it's good to see your back.

(Sorry, Please don't put Fluffy and Fang on me).

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

My work computer has Windows 2000, they are finally getting around to upgrading it to Windows XP in February. They don't believe in using cutting edge technology :grin:
Tony

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I'm still running my Dell 8250 with XP & 512MB of RDRAM. Until recently, the RAM was too expensive to upgrade ($500/1GB) and I refused to buy into, or buy Vista. I'm now looking around at new Windows 7 boxes and 25" monitors. I set up Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my daughter's laptop as a clean install upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32bit and think this might be the real deal.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

I installed Win7 Ultimate 64 bit on my wife's old Dell XPS laptop a few months back. She hates it, but that's only because I won't give it back to her now... ;)
Regards,
Rory

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

rory wrote:I installed Win7 Ultimate 64 bit on my wife's old Dell XPS laptop a few months back. She hates it, but that's only because I won't give it back to her now... ;)
:smile: Does this mean you have to read hoaxes again, sent to your wife from someone you know? :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

I installed version 7 on a lounge pc I have ( It was time for a clean up ) and caused major problems with the NVidea GE 7600 graphics card. After 2 or 3 hrs trying to find better drivers, I reinstalled the XP backup disks.
I ran 7 Beta very successfully on another machine and still runs with no issues !!
Still buggy me thinks..........
Cheers ...

Dave.

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

:rofl:
Regards,
Rory

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

"still have", as in past tense? Me, I've only just got an XP machine at home (arrived mid Dec) to replace my Win98FE setup that is still working after 11 years. Here at work I'm still on Win 2000, though I am expecting an XP box any day soon.

Ken

Gfamily
NewLounger

Post by Gfamily »

John Gray wrote: Would that you could write-protect USB Flash Drives...
If you use an SD card in a USB card reader, it'll give you the equivalent of a USB flash drive with write protection.