Change Drive Letter

jstevens
GoldLounger

Change Drive Letter

Post by jstevens »

I have a partition whose current Drive Letter is "J" and would like to rename it to "D". Renaming the Drive Letter I know how to do. My challenge is that I installed software to "Drive J" and was wondering if the programs installed on Drive J would still function if I renamed it.

I don't believe this could be done with XP but had to ask since the OS is Windows 7.

Thanks,
John
Regards,
John

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Change Drive Letter

Post by DaveA »

I think there will be issues with the installed programs, as the settings in the registry and other places are going to be looking for the J drive.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Dave,

That is what I expected. Is there a way to tell what programs are installed on Drive J? I don't mind removing them and reinstalling after the Drive Letter change. I just don't want to miss any programs installed there.

Regards,
John
Regards,
John

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have had reasonable success using regedit to search for J: (or whichever drive letter I am about to change).

For many simple things you just need to change the registry entry, but if you have installed a major application such as Microsoft Office on this drive then you will have to deinstall and reinstall to make sure.
StuartR