My Music

Gloria E
5StarLounger

My Music

Post by Gloria E »

When I attempted to open My Music folder, I was refused admission. What in the world is going on.? I am the Administrator, so I went to the place to set Permissions and was refused again. I went to help and found an article on Set, View, Change, or Remove Permissions on an object. The method shown was over my head and I couldn't make heads or tails of what it was telling me to do.

Can someone explain (in plain English), the method to set mine?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Re: My Music

Post by WyllyWylly »

First of all... what version of Windows? Secondly, what is the specific error text?

In the meantime, run CHKDSK just to make sure that there are no errors on the disk.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My Music is just an "alias" in Windows 7. Instead of trying to open My Music, go to Music under Libraries. Same for Documents instead of My Documents, Pictures instead of My Pictures and Videos instead of My Videos.
x82.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Gloria,
Before you go much further you need to get yourself a book on Windows 7 and do some reading.
There are a lot of things that are different with it compared to XP.
Yes you may have a Admin account, but you are not THE Administrator, but a member of the Admin Group.
I would NOT go around and start taking ownership of any folder until you understand why they are set as they are.

If you think you were confused using XP, then you need to forget most everything you thought you know about the innards of XP, as they are different with Windows 7.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Gloria,
Before you go much further you need to get yourself a book on Windows 7 and do some reading.
There are a lot of things that are different with it compared to XP.
Yes you may have a Admin account, but you are not THE Administrator, but a member of the Admin Group.
I would NOT go around and start taking ownership of any folder until you understand why they are set as they are.

If you think you were confused using XP, then you need to forget most everything you thought you know about the innards of XP, as they are different with Windows 7.
To WyllyWyll: I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and I don't recall the exact error message. For some unknow reason it hasn't showed up again and I can open the My Music folder.

To Hans: I discovered that and it doesn't bother me a bit.

To Dave: I will indeed get the book, it's sorely needed by yours truly. The difference between XP and Windows 7 is like the difference between nighht and day, The difference between being the Administrator and a member of the Admin Group is one topic I hope will be incluced in the book.

Thanks to all three of you gentlemen.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!