HomeUsers Group

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

HomeUsers Group

Post by BobArch2 »

Yesterday, April 4, 2010 I modified my router settings to use OpenDNS. Everything worked fine with no issues. Then today, I wanted to use Windows Explorer to look for a particular file. I clicked on C:\Users\Bob, selected Properties, Securities tab and in addition to my standard three User names [SYSTEM, Bob and Administrators] the display flashed a registry key beginning with S-I-??? and then that changed to HomeUsers as per the following:
User.gif
Highlighting the HomeUsers name showed that no attributes were in force. So being a risk-taker, I edited the name and gave Full Control as evidenced by the above. The system then went through the process of changing security attributes to the bulk of the files in C:\User\Bob and bypassed a few other essential folders/files. When the task was complete I went back to the Desktop and found that a couple of Shortcuts had the lock symbol. Executing the shortcuts was not a problem... no issues whatsoever. Then went back into C:\Users\Bob and found that some of the folders also had a lock symbol as per the following:
Folder.gif
Albeit there was a lock on the folders, I was able to examine the content.

I then went back into the Securities tab and remove all previously granted accesses. Again the system went through the file-by-file process changing the security access. When the task was complete... two observations were made. 1) the lock symbol disappeared and 2) so did the HomeUsers group/name.

A Google search for this type of condition could not be found. So, I'm asking the illustrious members here... any clues as to what HomeUsers is all about?

P.S. I did run Malwarebytes and nothing came up. Nada with NOD32 as well. I also checked with the OpenDNS forum and nothing was mentioned there so I suspect that OpenDNS is not the cause.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: HomeUsers Group

Post by HansV »

I don't know anything about home networks, but I found this thread: "Windows 7 Home Group?". Look for the first reply by RoanShire who started the thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:I don't know anything about home networks, but I found this thread...
Thanks Hans.

That was one of the items I found earlier today... but it did not make much sense to me. We have three PCs in the household... mine running Windows 7 since January, the wife's system running in XP (7 years) and the third, a test box running Vista (couple of years). I guess you can say they are networked because they can talk to each other through shared folders. And, they do all share the same router/switch box. This has been the case for at least 11 years with different Operating Systems.

Albeit that I have been running Windows 7 since January and have changed system folder attributes on a few occasions, today's "HomeUsers" event was the first to pop up. It appears to be associated with NTFS and Windows 7. One almost gets the impression that someone on a WAN could access the User folders if they had the correct security/password. And no relationship to Microsoft's Remote Access.

Anyway, the access seems to have disappeared by changing the permissions in the C:\Users folders.

I'll keep researching because I'm really curious about that "feature". :scratch:

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Albeit that I have been running Windows 7 since January and have changed system folder attributes on a few occasions, today's "HomeUsers" event was the first to pop up. It appears to be associated with NTFS and Windows 7.
See if the paragraph that start with "Page 627" at Windows® 7 Inside Out comments and corrections helps.

Joe
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:See if the paragraph that start with "Page 627" at Windows® 7 Inside Out comments and corrections helps.
Thanks Joe.

I think I'm getting a better handle on the concept of HomeUsers and Home Group in Windows 7. Just seems to be a step up on previous system's sharing of "public" folders.

I suspect that my adding of the OpenDNS server addresses in the Home Networking window of Windows 7 combined with changing the permissions in C:\Users\Bob opened up the HomeUsers account. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate which is only one of the couple of versions that allow the setting up of the Home Group facility. The lesser versions of W7 allow connecting to a Home Group, but not setting up the account.

The Windows 7 Inside Out book looks pretty comprehensive. Will place an order through Amazon and then use your link to make the recorded corrections.

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you want to be overwhelmed with choices for Windows 7 material see Amazon.com: windows 7 secrets: Books.

Joe
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:If you want to be overwhelmed with choices for Windows 7 material see Amazon.com: windows 7 secrets: Books.
Ahhh, beat you to the punch! When I went to http://www.amazon.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, checked out the Windows 7 material and added Windows 7 Secrets to the order.

Thanks for confirming I made the right choice in two of the books. Now, don't be recommending any more... I'm on a pensioner's income! :flee:
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Those two ought to be enough to keep you busy for a while. :grin:

Joe
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:Those two ought to be enough to keep you busy for a while. :grin:
OH, He.. 2,136 pages arriving tomorrow! :hairout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobArch2 wrote:
We will expect a complete review and itemized outline with footnotes on the desk by no later than Thursday. :evilgrin: :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

viking33 wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:
We will expect a complete review and itemized outline with footnotes on the desk by no later than Thursday. :evilgrin: :thankyou:
Ah come on... youse guys are de smart ones... no need for Coles. Me, I've only been in the DP/EDP/IT trade for 50 years and I'm still learning! :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
Regards,
Bob