Upgrade from Vista

petern
StarLounger

Upgrade from Vista

Post by petern »

I have just upgraded the home laptop to Win7 from Vista and for the most part it was quite clean. It is also most pleasant to say goodbye to the almost constant writing to disk (never could figure what program was doing it) and the glacial speed. This is an Acer Aspire 5360 notebook.

I discovered after the fact that some of the drivers weren't available for Win7, specifically the PCI flash memory (what does that do anyways?). After a web search on this issue I found a suggestion that if there isn't Win7 driver, the Vista driver would probably work. So I downloaded it manually and the warning has disappeared.

I also discovered that the CD/DVD drive wouldn't mount and couldn't be found and was actually getting ready to restore Vista with great sadness :bwaah: . In preparation I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order so that the machine tries to boot from CD/DVD first then goes to the hard drive. Lo and behold, the CD drive was now mounted and visible in My Computer. It seems BIOS trumps operating system.

Should I be concerned about this or have any other worries? Or should I be relatively comfortable leaving well enough alone and go about my business. I did a clean install rather than an upgrade because it was less hassle and got rid of a lot of the OEM garbage taking up space. I occasionally will do some Access work on it if I am on the road. We're using Office 2003. The only programs other than Windows stuff are Office 2003, Firefox and AVG free.

The machine is essentially used only for Word processing and web browsing, not a lot else.
Peter N

HansV
Administrator

Re: Upgrade from Vista

Post by HansV »

It looks like you're OK to me...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I agree with Hans that you look OK. I'd tread lightly for a week or two until you feel comfortable that you've excercised your regular routine several times and nothing has "gone bump in the night". Be sure to regularly backup your system so if something untoward does happen you've got a good return point.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Just get your imaging progams updated if needed and a make a new image and keep making your backups.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

petern
StarLounger

Post by petern »

OK, now you've lost me. What is an imaging program and why would I want one? There's so little that is crucial on this machine that I don't worry about doing more than the occasional backup.
Peter N

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

A imaging program with make image of the complete drive(s) and you can rebuild it in minutes VS. hours. It is one of the better ways of backing up.
Around here there are two programs that are used a lot, True Image and Shadow Protect. Have a look in the http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Security and Backup" area.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living