"enter network password" window keeps popping up

Michelle
Lounger

"enter network password" window keeps popping up

Post by Michelle »

Hi folks,

Does anyone know why I keep getting this annoying little window popping up? There seems to be no pattern to what I can be doing at the time. I can be on a website, I can be using Word or Excel 2007, I can be searching for docs in my laptop, etc.

I spent 45mins on the phone with Bell. I got off the line reassured the problem was fixed. Guess what happened?

Any thoughts?

Your help is always appreciated.
Michelle Romanica

Samantha
3StarLounger

Re: "enter network password" window keeps popping up

Post by Samantha »

Does the prompt only show up when you are using your laptop, or does it appear when you are on other machines in the network, too?
Last edited by Samantha on 13 Mar 2010, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have an e-mail client such as Outlook or Thunderbird open when this happens?
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Are you on a network ?? Home or Office ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Michelle
Lounger

Post by Michelle »

Samantha wrote:Does the prompt only show up when you are using your laptop, or does it appear when you are on other machines in the network, too?
Only on my laptop.

Michelle
Lounger

Post by Michelle »

HansV wrote:Do you have an e-mail client such as Outlook or Thunderbird open when this happens?
I'm using Outlook 2007.

Michelle
Lounger

Post by Michelle »

Doc Watson wrote:Are you on a network ?? Home or Office ??
Now my extent of tech knowledge will be apparent (Yikes!).

Not sure. I don't think so. This is for home. There are 2 other computers. 1PC hardwired to the modem/router (Bell's combination unit) and 2 wireless laptops. Only my laptop is getting this window.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Michelle wrote:I'm using Outlook 2007.
Does the problem stop if you close all Outlook windows?
Best wishes,
Hans

Michelle
Lounger

Post by Michelle »

HansV wrote:
Michelle wrote:I'm using Outlook 2007.
Does the problem stop if you close all Outlook windows?
Hadn't tried that. I will have to wait until it pops up again. Since Bell made changes, it's only popping up every few hours. I don't usually work on the laptop that long without Outlook opened, but I can try that.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I understand that it's a nuisance to leave Outlook closed for an extended period of time, but it'd be useful to perform the experiment.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Michelle wrote:... Since Bell made changes,...
Hi Michelle,

When you say Bell, do you mean Bell Canada with addresses of xxxxxx@sympatico.ca or xxxxx@bell.net (the latter being the new domain for Bell Canada)?

If so, allow me to suggest it is a Bell issue. I have been a Bell (Sympatico) user for over a decade and have experienced those messages.

I am currently running under Windows 7 and have been using Outlook 2007 since it was introduced. Prior to W7, I was running under Vista. In all of those environments, the "enter network password" request pops up. It can go for several days without any occurence and then... there she blows.

My spouse uses Windows XP, Firefox and its related e-mail app. Same issues.

The best advice I can give you is to not bother re-entering the password... just click on Cancel. Then try again moments later.
Regards,
Bob

Michelle
Lounger

Post by Michelle »

BobArch2 wrote:
Michelle wrote:... Since Bell made changes,...
Hi Michelle,

When you say Bell, do you mean Bell Canada with addresses of xxxxxx@sympatico.ca or xxxxx@bell.net (the latter being the new domain for Bell Canada)?

If so, allow me to suggest it is a Bell issue. I have been a Bell (Sympatico) user for over a decade and have experienced those messages.

I am currently running under Windows 7 and have been using Outlook 2007 since it was introduced. Prior to W7, I was running under Vista. In all of those environments, the "enter network password" request pops up. It can go for several days without any occurence and then... there she blows.

My spouse uses Windows XP, Firefox and its related e-mail app. Same issues.

The best advice I can give you is to not bother re-entering the password... just click on Cancel. Then try again moments later.
I agree I think it is Bell Canada's issue. They did reduce the frequency of the pop ups from 30secs to once or twice a day. I have clicked cancel several times but that doesn't seem to stop it. Your information helps though, as I will return to Bell (after I fill up my jar of patience) to try resolving this issue again.

Many thanks!
Michelle