Comparison of XP to Win 7 for ease of setup

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Comparison of XP to Win 7 for ease of setup

Post by Skitterbug »

I had a plea for help to set up a new computer which I think will have Windows 7 for O/S. She didn't say and the reason is, she probably doesn't know. Her nephew is ordering this for her to use. So my question concerns the difficulty I might encounter starting up a brand new system, setting it up for Internet use, attaching her scanner & printer, etc. Is Windows 7 anything like XP or should I start digging for info so I can find my way around? Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Comparison of XP to Win 7 for ease of setup

Post by Rebel »

Skitterbug wrote:I had a plea for help to set up a new computer which I think will have Windows 7 for O/S. She didn't say and the reason is, she probably doesn't know. Her nephew is ordering this for her to use. So my question concerns the difficulty I might encounter starting up a brand new system, setting it up for Internet use, attaching her scanner & printer, etc. Is Windows 7 anything like XP or should I start digging for info so I can find my way around? Thanks!
Hi Sandy,
I found Windows 7 was very very simple to set up. Unlike previous iterations of the OS, Win7 has drivers for most (but not all) internal and external hardware. You might want to check on the scanner and printer models and then search the manufacturers' sites for Win7 drivers. Some older hardware will not work, but for the most part, Windows 7 has much better built-in driver support than previous versions.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You might also need to beware that many OEM's are shipping machines with Windows 7 64 bit. Then the driver issue here will bve a bit different, but more of the external device OEM's are providing 64 drivers, but the OLDER devices may not be supported.

Along this same thought, most 32 bit utilities MAY not wok on the 64 bit, so checked to see if there is a 64 bit available, even for those :free: ones.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Rebel wrote: Hi Sandy,
I found Windows 7 was very very simple to set up. Unlike previous iterations of the OS, Win7 has drivers for most (but not all) internal and external hardware. You might want to check on the scanner and printer models and then search the manufacturers' sites for Win7 drivers. Some older hardware will not work, but for the most part, Windows 7 has much better built-in driver support than previous versions.
Thanks Rebel and Dave! This is good to know! I'm hoping it isn't the 64 bit version that Dave mentioned it could be. In this case the more simple the whole thing is, the better for the new user and me! I hate to admit this, but I haven't kept up with the new O/Ss since I stopped working at school. :sigh: Maybe this would be a good reason for me to buy a new PC? :laugh: Thanks again!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I got a new PC with 64-bits Windows 7 a bit over a month ago, and I was pleasantly surprised about how easy it was. Everything worked right out of the box, and there appear to be enough drivers by now.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also got a new PC with 64-bit Windows 7. The only problems I had were very old programs that I should have replaced 10 years ago.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I installed two 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate systems a couple of weeks after it was available. Both went very well with no problems. I do agree with DaveA about looking for 64-bit versions of programs. Some 32-bit utilities just won't work properly on a 64-bit OS. All-in-all it should be a relatively easy setup.

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:I installed two 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate systems a couple of weeks after it was available. Both went very well with no problems. I do agree with DaveA about looking for 64-bit versions of programs. Some 32-bit utilities just won't work properly on a 64-bit OS. All-in-all it should be a relatively easy setup.
Joe
I have a feeling that this computer will be coming from Dell since her last couple of computers came from there. She is going to call when it arrives. :smile: The fun will begin then, I'm sure! :yep: If I get stuck on something, I'll be coming right back here! :grin:
:thankyou: for the vote of confidence!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

The "happily ever after ending to this tale"! :grin:
The Dell desktop computer arrived this morning!
I was there by this afternoon setting up the toy for my 92 year old friend! Amazing! She's still sharp mentally! I hope I can function as well. So however the nephew did it, the O/S is XP and since I am familiar with this O/S, the job went just fine! :whew: I have a question about IE but I will post it there! :grin: :cheers: