MSI file fails to install

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

MSI file fails to install

Post by MalcolmWalker »

On my Windows 7 computer the installed Windows Installer is version 5.0.7600.16385.

The install of a particular MSI file generates the following error message:
Rapport Setup
Error reading from file
C:\Users\Malcolm|AppData\Local\Temp\\rap7466968\RapportSetup-Full.msi. Verify the file exists and you can access it.
Retry Cancel

(Note the double backslash after Temp - \Temp\\rap7466968\ - is that of any significance?)

Indeed I can access the file directly and run it but with the same result. The msiexec.exe file is present in the Windows\System32 folder as it should be and an Internet search has failed to produce anything that helps me to identify the problem. I have checked the MSI file association which is correct. I am wondering if in upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Professional an error or corruption has occurred that is the cause of this difficulty.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: MSI file fails to install

Post by StuartR »

MalcolmWalker wrote:...Any suggestions as to what I could do to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.
Have you tried contacting the software vendor?
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:Have you tried contacting the software vendor?
Yes - the response was that I should refer the matter to Microsoft. I have replied to their suggestion in a suitable manner as it wasn't Microsoft who compiled the MSI file. So far I have received no more than an automated response.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Can you try copying the .MSI file to a directory that is not in the AppData path. Maybe just C:\Temp or something similar, and then run it from that location.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
StuartR wrote:Have you tried contacting the software vendor?
Yes - the response was that I should refer the matter to Microsoft. I have replied to their suggestion in a suitable manner as it wasn't Microsoft who compiled the MSI file. So far I have received no more than an automated response.
I was just Googling around and saw your thread in another MS forum where there is a suggestion posted by a MS staffer less than an hour ago. Have you seen that one yet?

If this is a re-install, I see something at FAQ | Trusteer that talks about re-installation. Does it possibly apply to your case?

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Bigaldoc wrote:I was just Googling around and saw your thread in another MS forum where there is a suggestion posted by a MS staffer less than an hour ago. Have you seen that one yet?
Thank you for drawing my attention to the staffer's message - I'll have a look next. After a week since my last message in that MS Forum without a response I had given up on anything further being posted there. Hence me raising the matter here.

No - it is not a reinstall and I had checked the FAQs on the Trusteer's site. It is only when all normal channels have been explored and found wanting that I seek the help of the contributor's to the Lounge!

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:Can you try copying the .MSI file to a directory that is not in the AppData path. Maybe just C:\Temp or something similar, and then run it from that location.
I have done what you suggested and a different error message is displayed:

Rapport Setup
The installer has encountered an unexpected error
installing this package. This may indicate a problem with
this package. Error code is 2203
OK

This article from the MSKB doesn't seem relevant to me:
Article ID: 324852 - Last Review: December 4, 2007 - Revision: 1.5
"Error 2203. An internal error has occurred" error message when you create an administrative installation point in Office XP

I'll see what the MS staffer has to tell me.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I have been remiss in leaving this thread incomplete. Mea culpa!

I eventually rectified the issue by installing from the MSI file directly - something that had been suggested previously but had not been successful. What changed to permit the installation I do not know.

To the contributors to this thread my sincere and grateful thanks for their input.

Malcolm