Exact words in Dropdown list for starttype options in WAP push Properties in services.msc

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Exact words in Dropdown list for starttype options in WAP push Properties in services.msc

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi
I am mainly interested in windows 10 here, but windows 11 would also be OK.
I am trying to track down an annoying inconstancy in the results got from a PowerShell script.

Can anyone tell me please
_ 1 Your operating system version
_ 2 exactly what you see as
_2a) the name
and
_2b) the exact words used in the startup dropdown list in the Properties of a services.msc thing that goes under the name/ description of something like WAP push

Regarding _2 , I am talking about what you see when you do this
_(i) Hit the Microsoft button + Key r , and type in services.msc
https://i.postimg.cc/zDM0VF4G/MS-r-services-msc.jpg
_(ii) scroll down to the thing called something like WAP push
https://i.postimg.cc/15qM6NZc/Scroll-do ... -stuff.jpg
_(iii) right click to get the Properties
https://i.postimg.cc/3NPBV32v/Deinstnam ... ptions.jpg
Deinstname and startup options.JPG

I am particularly intersted in
_ what you see where I see dmwappushservice (Note: I highly suspect that will be the same as me. If it is different you may not be looking at the service I am intersted in)
_ I would like to know the exact words you see in the starttype drop down list options, ( I see there 4 in German )

Thanks
Alan

P.S. As a bonus , if anyone has an opinion what that services actually does when its doing anything, ( in Layman terms that I might understand ) , then I would be very interested. – So far I have seen conflicting opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Re: Exact words in Dropdown list for starttype options in WAP push Properties in services.msc

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 11 Home.
I don't have the service you mention - there is nothing between Wallet Service and Warp JIT Service.

S1088.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Exact words in Dropdown list for starttype options in WAP push pull Plonker Properties in services.msc

Post by DocAElstein »

Thanks Hans,
I wonder if it might be that Wi-Fi Direct Services Conn….. – the description bit sounds familiar.
( Do you, or anyone, know if there is a simple way to search the names ( Dienstname in my screenshot ) at the top of the Properties
Ideally a list with that Dienstname along with something else like the description or the Name )
I am trying to learn PowerShell just now and I know there is ways to Get a list through “piping them out" or some such, but I haven’t got that far yet. I deally a list with that Dienstname along something else like the description or the Name )
_.__________________________________

I think I have seen the service I am looking for in an English YouTube video ( a few years back so it would have been windows 10 ) , down the list under the d's going in the name the same as the dienst name, dmwappushservice, I will try to find one...
Edit, here we go - this will be Windows 10 , not sure exactly what version, but it would have been a current version from about two and a half few years ago
Wap Push name.JPG
Last edited by DocAElstein on 30 Jan 2022, 13:04, edited 2 times in total.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Exact words in Dropdown list for starttype options in WAP push Properties in services.msc

Post by JoeP »

From Security guidelines for disabling system services in windows server: Service required on client devices for Intune, MDM and similar management technologies, and for Unified Write Filter.

Is this a managed device?
Joe

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Thanks for the reply Joe. (I will check through some of the services listed there and compare them with those I am playing around with – there might be some recommendations relevant to me)
_._____________________________________-
JoeP wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 16:00
Is this a managed device?
Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you are asking there.

What I am doing basically is taking a look at some Windows 10 machines, (mostly Pro, just one Home version), for some friends who, ( believe it or not ), know even less than me about a computer.
The computers will all be used for private use, at least initially, I think.
Amongst other things I am looking at some of the “Debloat” scripts that are around, with a vew to possibly using them on some of these machines.
(I am playing around with them on some of my machines initially incase I break anything badly!)
The scripts don’t always seem to be doing what the author claims for me. It could well be that the problem lies elsewhere. I am just trying to see what those dropdown words are in a few English Windows 10’s to check if differences might cause issues.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

I just found out that the service who's Properties I am looking for help in might have the name in some more recent English Windows versions of
Device Management Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Push Message Routing Service

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I found it under D for Device...
StuartR

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Thanks Stuart, that’s exactly what I was looking for.
(That was my best guess, since it’s the nearest German – English translation. But Microsoft don’t always use the nearest translated words, so I wanted to be sure, ( in particular the Delayed Start could easilly have been written slightly differently) )

( By the way, I am finding some interesting results which can be helpful to me. If I use just a M or a D in the script coding it usually gets it correct for what I want. Useful to know in the cases where there are only the three to choose from, Automatic(Automatisch), Manual(Manuell), Disable(Deaktiviert) , or when I only want either of the first two in my WAP push Properties list)

Ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXaYszT ... VcUxNO0Ppo

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I see the same as StuartR.
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Thx Hans