Something is Hammering My Hard Drive

BobH
UraniumLounger

Something is Hammering My Hard Drive

Post by BobH »

Earlier in the evening, I ran AntiMalwareBytes on my system. I left it running a scan of disk files. When I came back after supper, there was a warning that I had malware. Although I didn't write down the specifics, it was a PUP* file (which I've experienced before without problems). I chose the Quarantine All option. The system shut down and tried to restart but after 5 minutes of waiting for my shortcut littered winter view of Leiden to appear, I powered off and back on.

I got the screen saying that Windows didn't shut down normally and chose the option to open Windows normally. Again I had a long wait without results; so I did power failed and restarted again. This time I got the Welcome screen but it disappeared after about a minute. I got a blank but backlit screen with the little circle with a comet racing around it for about a minute. This time I pressed ESC and got the same screen but with my mouse cursor. The mouse was active so I just waited it out. After about 5 minutes, I got the home screen but had trouble launching CCleaner.

I then opened Task Manager's Performance tab and then Resource Monitor. CPU load was running about 12-15% with no applications actually running. I then looked at the Disk tab and got this result:
Resource Mgr.png
Obviously something is hammering my disk drive but I don't know what it is. Can anyone offer suggestions for isolating this problem?

I opened Firefox and came here, so applications ARE running; but I don't understand what is put such a load on my C: drive.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Something is Hammering My Hard Drive

Post by Claude »

Have you run Glary Utilities Bob ?
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Claude wrote:Have you run Glary Utilities Bob ?
No, I have not, Claude.

I know nothing about them. I'll do a search and see what I can learn.

Thanks for the tip!

Thinkgs seem to be running fairly normally now. My Internet response time is lagging a bit but I doubt that has anything to do with my desktop system

Thanks, again!
Last edited by BobH on 17 Sep 2014, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the tip on Glarys, Claude!

I downloaded the free version and found an upgrade to Pro offer for just $12 US. Couldn't pass that up.

I've done some noodling around. It seems to be quite powerful. It found a great many more Registry problems than CCleaner did. I'm a bit reluctant to apply the fixes it suggests because I've had trouble in the past with registry cleaners that were too aggressive. What has your experience been with Glarys registry cleaning function?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

Hi, new here, was invited by someone at another site.

On to the problem, The PUP could have been a false read and when you quarantined it it corrupted a file, or it was tied to a file that was corrupted when quarantined. The other two possibilities are you picked up a virus Malwarebytes didn't find or your hard drive it starting to go bad. Yeah, lots of possibilities here. First thing is download Stinger (a compact but powerful free antivirus tool) and run it.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free ... inger.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Copy and paste it to your search bar).
(Just thought of this also check Device Manager look for the Hard Drive and make sure the driver is working properly, probably should do that first.)

If Stinger finds nothing then you'll probably have to do a System Restore, going back to a point before you ran MB and quarantined the PUP. If that doesn't correct the problem then I would hazard a guess you have a corrupted Windows (INI) file or the hard drive is starting to fail. If you have the OS disc you can try a repair by inserting the disc in you optical drive and following the instructions.

What Version of Windows are you using? Who made your computer? What antivirus programs are you running?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi ringel05

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge
Have a look at Bob's signature line to get some of his system specs. (Granted...it's tiny) :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

Thanks Rudi. Yup, tiny is the word........ Had to use the reading glasses. Thanks for the tip. :grin:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, OK already. You mean that my 72+ year old eyes are better than those you young pups have?

Is the sig line better now?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you for the input, ringel05!

My hard drive hammering has stopped. I still experience intermittent connection drops and delays on my Internet connection, but for the most part things have returned to normal.

I received a PCI card network adapter today and will install it soon to see if that makes any difference in the connectivity issue.

My computer is one I assembled a couple of years ago from parts and a spare tower case. I run MSE as an AV and use various tools to detect and remove malware, primarily MalWareBytes and sometimes Glarys.

Thanks again. Will have to read up on what a PUP is and how it behaves.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:Is the sig line better now?
Yep, that's readable without using a magnifying glass... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

BobH wrote: Will have to read up on what a PUP is and how it behaves.
According to this blog post, PUPs are Potentially Unwanted Programs. That'll be something which isn't malicious per se, but which gets installed if you're asleep when you install stuff and miss unticking (or ticking) those pesky boxes in the installers... :hairout:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

BobH wrote:Thank you for the input, ringel05!

My hard drive hammering has stopped. I still experience intermittent connection drops and delays on my Internet connection, but for the most part things have returned to normal.

I received a PCI card network adapter today and will install it soon to see if that makes any difference in the connectivity issue.

My computer is one I assembled a couple of years ago from parts and a spare tower case. I run MSE as an AV and use various tools to detect and remove malware, primarily MalWareBytes and sometimes Glarys.

Thanks again. Will have to read up on what a PUP is and how it behaves.
Which has me thinking more and more one (or more) of your WIN files are corrupted, not so much an INI file as that would be specific to one piece of hardware. Like I said you could do a System Restore and if that doesn't work try a Windows repair. If you think the HD is starting to go, run a diagnostic tool just to make sure. If it suddenly stops working you can use MacPup to pull personal files that have not been corrupted and load them on a thumb drive, it runs off of RAM, I have a copy set aside just in case.
Some free diagnostic tools:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofth ... hddiag.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but just in case, if you are installing opensource (free) programs always be very careful to read everything that pops up during installation, sometimes other programs like Ask.com and Ask Toolbar are included and already checked for acceptance, you have to unselect these so always select "Custom" install.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Please accept my apologies for such bad manners in failing to welcome you to Eileen's Lounge. I hope you find it helpful and a fun place to participate.

I downloaded a fresh copy of AntiMalware Bytes and ran a full scan before making this response. It detected a conflicting Program Data folder on the C: drive. The folder had a string of integers as a qualifier and contained a .tmp file. I let AMB quarantine both the folder and the .tmp file. After restarting, I've not yet noticed any problems.

I'm reluctant to do a System Restore because I'm uncertain of any date that would be a date certain that my problems started. I've had ISP connectivity problems which masked - or perhaps caused - the system issues. I'm at a loss to explain the disk drive hammering that was the cause of my op in this thread; however, it no longer continues; so I assume that whatever caused it was a transient problem that has been resolved by other diagnostic and repair activities.

I ran a series of Windows Troubleshooting tests and the only thing I turned up was multiple applications in the Start Menu. I found none that I did not want there and will manage the start times using Glary Utilities.

Having experienced problems with MacAfee products in the past, I avoid them (like the black death) when I id them. I have more confidence in AMB and MS/MSE than in MacAfee (but perhaps that is a personal prejudice).

Anyway . . . WELCOME TO EILEEN'S LOUNGE from a long time member who has found great support and help here - although I rarely contribute to resolving anyone else's problems as my skills are not up to date and mostly self-taught.

AND . . . thank you for the help.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bob, just the presents of your uberhund is contribution enough! "Rock on..." :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

Thanks for the welcome BobH. Like you I'm (mostly) self taught but up to date with my knowledge and I have a lot of friends who are geeks. As for McAfee, other than Stinger (a very lightweight and non-intrusive one time use tool) I refuse to use them, same with Norton. I use Avast and MB when I'm running Windows.
Saw your problem and figured this would be a good place to try and dazzle everyone with brilliance or baffle everyone with b... .... :grin:
Good luck.