Social Networking

Would you participate in a forum that covered Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and related things?

Yes - I have lots of questions that I would like to get answers to
No votes
Yes - I could contribute answers to questions that other people ask
14%
Yes - I would both ask questions and answer other people's posts
38%
No - I am not interested in social networking
41%
No - I go to other places for this kind of help
7%

Total votes: 29

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Social Networking

Post by Skitterbug »

StuartR wrote:OK folks, votes have been counted and the new forum has been created.

First person to make a post asking for someone to be their friend gets banned from the lounge for 1,000 years.
Maybe you could consider narrowing that statement to Facebook, Google+, etc. friend?
I hope we are all friends here in the Lounge! :grin: I'd hate to be banned for a 1,000 years! :yikes:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Skitterbug wrote:I hope we are all friends here in the Lounge! :grin:
We are! So you don't have to ask for that... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:I hope we are all friends here in the Lounge! :grin:
We are! So you don't have to ask for that... :smile:
:clapping: I'm safe then! :smile:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Skitter,

You would have to work really hard to get banned from the lounge, and even then it would probably only be for 1,000 seconds.
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

StuartR wrote:Skitter,

You would have to work really hard to get banned from the lounge, and even then it would probably only be for 1,000 seconds.
:blush: :blush: Thank you for your faith in me! I'll try really hard to deserve it! :yep:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

John Gray wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:I'd rather have cancer than be involved in social networking.
Possibly one of the most tasteless and insensitive comments I've seen for a long time, and probably not one you'd make if you knew anyone who was having chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the hope that their life might be prolonged somewhat. Or someone who had recently died of cancer.
To each their own John. Tasteless... Insensitive.... ?? Pray tell why ?? I have lost several v friends to cancer in the past couple years and do not feel my comment about social networking has any bearing on them or their illness in any personal way. The comparison was cancer and social networking, which I believe to be an equal plague on human-kind. We spend years prtecting our personal data and then in an instantanious choice to be "social" we give all of it to some snot-nose kid who is going to sell it to make his billions. Sorry... not my cup of tea.

I'm your peer and do not need a lecture. My experience with cancer is personal and rather complete... excepting for not having it myself. My father was a 20 year cancer survivor from a time when they sliced and diced to cure it. He was butchered, but alive, and I was grateful to have him for another 20+ years. Cancer sucks !!!! Social networking sucks more !!!
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

StuartR wrote:OK folks, votes have been counted and the new forum has been created.

First person to make a post asking for someone to be their friend gets banned from the lounge for 1,000 years.
Am I your friend Stuart ??? :innocent:
You may be dyslexic.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Doc Watson wrote: Am I your friend Stuart ??? :innocent:
Not any more!
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Skitterbug wrote:

Maybe you could consider narrowing that statement to Facebook, Google+, etc. friend?
I hope we are all friends here in the Lounge! :grin: I'd hate to be banned for a 1,000 years! :yikes:
You could always ask in the new sub forum. :grin:

"I'm a member of a forum, but there is no way to know if there are any friends; no buttons to push, nothing; what can I do to tell?"

"Which forum are you talking about?"

"Eileen's Lounge."

"Ah, then it's very easy; they are all friends there, no need to ask."

:smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Doc Watson wrote:... and then in an instantanious choice to be "social" we give all of it to some snot-nose kid who is going to sell it to make his billions. Sorry... not my cup of tea.!!!
Knowing it is of little or no value to continue a debate with those who feel as you do, I would only ask what your evidence is for the above statement that is any more so than anything else WE all do these days on the internet.

Allegations of privacy invasion are just that, allegations. This Lounge is secure, your email is secure, your business advertisement on the web is secure... What, other than wild and unsubstantiated statements, makes you, a non-user so convinced that you're giving away the family jewels if you use something like Facebook, Doc?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote: You could always ask in the new sub forum. :grin:

"I'm a member of a forum, but there is no way to know if there are any friends; no buttons to push, nothing; what can I do to tell?"

"Which forum are you talking about?"

"Eileen's Lounge."

"Ah, then it's very easy; they are all friends there, no need to ask."

:smile:
Just bring on :coffeetime: :chocciebar: :wine: and :cheers: Ideas flow freely and friendships are shared! Yea for Eileen's Lounge!

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:... and then in an instantanious choice to be "social" we give all of it to some snot-nose kid who is going to sell it to make his billions. Sorry... not my cup of tea.!!!
Knowing it is of little or no value to continue a debate with those who feel as you do, I would only ask what your evidence is for the above statement that is any more so than anything else WE all do these days on the internet.

Allegations of privacy invasion are just that, allegations. This Lounge is secure, your email is secure, your business advertisement on the web is secure... What, other than wild and unsubstantiated statements, makes you, a non-user so convinced that you're giving away the family jewels if you use something like Facebook, Doc?
A CNBC documentary I saw early last year.

The Facebook Obcession and the way Facebook has behaved as a steward of the data they are storing.

Believe what you want, do as you choose. Be certain that I will do just that. I did not disparage or judge anyone with my post. I simply stated my opinion on an open subject in our forum as requested. :smile:
You may be dyslexic.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

steveh wrote: ...I have never visited FB, Twitter, Linkedin etc. and cannot envisage a scenario when I would be likely to do so ...
Steve,

I use both FB and Linkedin, but for totally different reasons. Here are the scenarios that work for me:
FB links me back to people I grew up with but I happen to be separated by a 1000 miles and 30 years of life away from that area. I'm far from being an active user, but I'll occasionally (once a week) post a comment on my "wall" or a note on someone else's. I have posted pictures in my early FB days of a few trips we took abroad, but not in the past year or so. Also, my grown children are users, so I can see their latest pics, send a comment or have a quick chat session.

LinkedIn has been my link to people in my former companies, but, more importantly, has connected me to people who searched the profiles which resulted in my last two contract positions, one of which I'm presently working. I've sent resumes (thousands!) and used Monster, etc., to search and be visible, but many of the "jobs" sites are contaminated by scam artists. I haven't had that problem with LinkedIn, but I'm sure it's out there.

From that, I would probably participate in a SN network in the same way I keep up with Excel, VBA and other technical forums here and other places - to learn and help when I can.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

StuartR wrote:
Doc Watson wrote: Am I your friend Stuart ??? :innocent:
Not any more!
Pity.
You may be dyslexic.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

I've not been around recently so I am late to this thread, but i am really pleased to see the new forum! Now, any chance we can have another for mobile technology please? It's such a big part of everyday life now and seems so lost in "Other".
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

VegasNath wrote:Now, any chance we can have another for mobile technology please? It's such a big part of everyday life now and seems so lost in "Other".
I want a forum for discussing Scandinavian Vikings, it's so lost in Scuttlebutt. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:
VegasNath wrote:Now, any chance we can have another for mobile technology please? It's such a big part of everyday life now and seems so lost in "Other".
I want a forum for discussing Scandinavian Vikings, it's so lost in Scuttlebutt. :grin:
Now you're talking! :cheers: :grin: :clapping: :fanfare: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:
Argus wrote:I want a forum for discussing Scandinavian Vikings, it's so lost in Scuttlebutt. :grin:
Now you're talking! :cheers: :grin: :clapping: :fanfare: :laugh:
The part of Yorkshire where I live is famous for it's Viking heritage. I'm happy to talk about the little I know. :grin:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:...Do you suppose we could create a new forum here for Social Networking...
The poll results are in, the new forum has been created, and this thread has now served its purpose.

If you want to discuss specific aspects of social networking technology then please start new threads in the Social Networking forum. This thread will now be locked.
StuartR