Can't stay logged in (split off from Add-on to exclude ...)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Can't stay logged in (split off from Add-on to exclude ...)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:No one's mentioned any errors as yet? Andy.
Oh, very well then.
If you insist.
This isn't an error; it's a heads-up.
I think if someone else reports it it might be an error.
Twice today I've had to log in to the lounge; hasn't happened since I rebuilt this system 3 weeks ago; generally never happens; and I know I heard you say something about cookies.
I've spent a large part of this day physically rebuilding my office, re-cabling etc, which shouldn't affect cookies, So I'm not pointing any fingers.
Yet.

Anyone else out there playing with 'andy and having to log back in to Eileen's Lounge?

(later) I think I'll go and inspect the code to see if there is anything like

Code: Select all

If %username%=="ChrisGreaves" then ... 
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:26 pages of complaints?????
Well in the end I didn't click "Submit", but I came this close!. :evilgrin:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Anyone else out there playing with 'andy and having to log back in to Eileen's Lounge?

(later) I think I'll go and inspect the code to see if there is anything like

Code: Select all

If %username%=="ChrisGreaves" then ... 
The past few days every time I close EL and re-open FF I have to re-log in and re-check the log me in automatically but I don't know what it's related to. I've enabled cookies, and I disabled Abine at this site, but I used to have no issues logging in automatically...now I do...but it may be something I've done--most likely, though I'd like to pin it down.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have to login to Eileen's Lounge either in Internet Explorer 8 (where I don't use Andy's Search at the moment) or in Firefox 3.6.13 (where I do).
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I've just checked my cookie settings and have them set "until they expire" as opposed to "when FF closes" but I still had to log in and check that automatically log me in box again. Any ideas?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you use any cookie management software? Cleaner utilities such as CCleaner? New add-ins in Firefox?
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Do you use any cookie management software? Cleaner utilities such as CCleaner? New add-ins in Firefox?
CCleaner but I haven't changed those settings. I did just check Abine FF add-on but it is disabled on this site, I also just went in to FF/Tools/Options and checked the settings of "Clear History when I close FF" and in that Cookies and Active Logins were checked, so I unchecked them. I had just fiddled with those settings on Monday so will see if this makes any difference. Thanks.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I closed FF and was able to log in to my Portal ok so I had changed what was removed when FF closed. It has nothing to do with Andy's search and I will put it back on now :-)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Mmmm I'm intrigued. I've not been able to replicate the problem so far.

It should not be possible for my page to affect any other web sites' settings. If there were an error in the code it should/will only cause my page to fail.

Perhaps my page could be saved in it's own sub-folder but even then ...

Let me know what happens please. Of course, if you've any doubt at all you should not use my page. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't stay logged in (split off from Add-on to exclude .

Post by HansV »

I have split off this sequence of posts from Add-on to exclude domains from right-click? since it's no longer about Andy's search page, but about a Lounge problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

agibsonsw wrote:
Let me know what happens please. Of course, if you've any doubt at all you should not use my page. Andy.
In my case it had to do with changing History settings in my FF Options so I am auto logging in as I used to...just a coinkydink :scratch: Your search works wonderfully and I've had lots of fun experimenting with it....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:I've not been able to replicate the problem so far.
(later) 2+ days later the problem has disappeared.
I've not needed to log in to anything (not just the Lounge) after half a dozen reboots.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Has an answer been found for this?

I'm using IE 8.0 on XP+SP3, and I have to login if I've not clicked within the site for about 30 minutes (maybe less). I also check the "Log me in" box, but it doesn't change anything, so when I return I have to fill in ID and PW fields again.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi PJ,

That's strange - even if you don't tick the check box "Log me on automatically each visit" (or "Remember me" in the Lounge Portal), you should remain logged in for 1 hour:
x111.png
Try running IE8 without add-ons for a while to see if that makes a difference.
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (no add-ons) to start IE8 that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Has an answer been found for this?

I'm using IE 8.0 on XP+SP3, and I have to login if I've not clicked within the site for about 30 minutes (maybe less). I also check the "Log me in" box, but it doesn't change anything, so when I return I have to fill in ID and PW fields again.
What web address are you using to get to "The Lounge"?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

@HansV and DaveA - Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question!

Just restarted the XP PC and entered the lounge via URL http://www.eileenslounge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; using the "No Add-ons" mode (Thanks for the tip! I never saw that link before). Portal page came up but had to log in manually at 12:01 EST, according to the banner at the top of the lounge. I'll click a topic in 30 minutes to see if I'm still logged in...

Edit @ 12:45: Still logged in at 12:41. Logged out and closed tab. Opened new tab and clicked link to the lounge portal. Still required manual login. Testing continues... I'll wait over the 3600 seconds for auto-logout then reload the page.

QUESTION: Should I be logged in automatically in that situation, or do I need to go to the login page at http://www.eileenslounge.com/ucp.php?mode=login&sid=.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. for automatic login to work?

I also went to the lounge on a Vista laptop (IE8 and Vista Home Premium + SP1) where I'm currently writing this reply, also around 12:01 EST. I expected to and did log in manually as I've not set up this PC before, so I didn't expect any cookies to be set. I did check the "Log me in" box, so we'll see if this PC behaves differently.

Edit @ 12:55: Vista PC - same results after logging off. Returned to login screen, logged in and made sure the "Log me in" button selected. Logged out again and returned to login screen but still had to manually log in. It's not really a "hot" issue as I usually just let KeePass log me in when this happens, so I'll just expect to continue to do so.

Thanks again for listening,
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PJ,
When you leave the Lounge, do you manually log out?
You should be able to just leave and go elsewhere on without logging off.
This is a habit established on the other Lounges, where logging off was not necessary.
The admins should be able to answer if this is still the preferred method with this phpBB version.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

> "Logged out and closed tab. Opened new tab and clicked link to the lounge portal. Still required manual login."

That's the way it is designed to work. If you log out, you will ALWAYS have to log in the next time you visit Eileen's Lounge. This is because the Lounge cookie in your browser's cache keeps track of whether you're logged in or not. Logging out changes this status.

When you're done visiting here, simply surf to another website or close the tab, but do NOT log out.
Best wishes,
Hans

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

There are sites where you must log out: for example, any where action could be taken by a bad actor that would cost you money. The reason is that although your browser is quite good at protecting one site from access through another, it can never be perfect, so logging out of your banking and ecommerce sessions is always worth the extra click. The Lounge, not so much.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

OK, just to get everything straight, I don't normally log off any site other than financial sites of course. So what I was doing during my "testing" yesterday was not a typical scenario. I understand how it must have been confusing, and muddied the issue. Sorry about that.

What WAS happening (yes "was" - I swear it wasn't doing this before, oh and also the dog ate my homework, really!) was I would use a link to navigate to the Lounge, then use the Login page to get signed in.

Every time.

Honest!

Some of those sessions may have exceeded the 1 hour time-out, but most were just: open a tab, click on link, enter login info....

Sometime yesterday I navigated back to Eileen's and suddenly my mug shot is staring at me in the upper left corner. After recovering from the initial fright (this is the first - and maybe last - time I put my face in an avatar) it occured to me I didn't have to log in to see that horrible sight, it happened automagically!

So I just tried again today, both IE 8 and FF 3.6, and there I am staring back at myself when I click the link (in IE) or type "eileenslounge" and press ctrl-enter in FF. FF needed an initial login (are cookies also browser specific?), but after that, logs in every time I navigate back to the site.

I swear it was NOT doing that when I first posted! And no, I wasn't logging out each time and, no, I'm not senile - yet! (If you ask about "crazy" I'll have to take the Fifth)

To make a long story short - uh, never mind!

Sheepishly yours,
PJ in (usually sunny) FL