Post number in a thread

curious
3StarLounger

Post number in a thread

Post by curious »

Hi -

Is it possible to see what number a post is in a thread? I found this useful in the "other" lounge.

Thank you.

Curious

HansV
Administrator

Re: Post number in a thread

Post by HansV »

Er, no. The software we run here does not display the #1, #2 etc. within a thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, Hans.

Curious

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pardon Hans, but is this what she was asking:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Bigaldoc wrote:Pardon Hans, but is this what she was asking:
Big Al - I think the important part of the original question was "in a thread". The number you point to is the 'absolute post number' for the entire board!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John Gray wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:Pardon Hans, but is this what she was asking:
Big Al - I think the important part of the original question was "in a thread". The number you point to is the 'absolute post number' for the entire board!
I think I gave as correct an answer as I could. Although, as Hans said, the post numbers of a thread (1, 2, 3, etc.) are absent, the board does number every post. In link form that number can be obtained in the little box in the upper right corner of the post, to the left of the date. In view, the number of EACH individual post is just above the avatar, as in this example, from which I've removed blank vertical space. Using this number one could refer to an individual post, either in URL form, or verbiage, I think, as in: "John, with due respect, I think your post number 2565 is not correct."

BTW, this thread is at: Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Post number in a thread

And finally, one can use the post tag in the middle of the second row of tags in a post composition, as tutored to me by Leif here

Edited to add words of "politeness" to my quote! :groovin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I still think the OP means the internal thread post numbers, as Hans mentioned. Some used them when referring to another post in a thread, not with a link but as a number. (Personally, I rarely used them that way.) For two or three reasons:
  • As John mentioned; "what number a post is in a thread".
  • "... found this useful in the "other" lounge."; that is something that indeed is present in the other lounge but not here.
  • Finally, on the other hand, post number IDs, the one Al referred to, are present (now) in this Lounge, but not directly visible in the other lounge, so it doesn't seem be these.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Yes, I did mean the internal thread post numbers.

Curious