overwhelmed with kindness

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

overwhelmed with kindness

Post by stuck »

I think most of us would agree The Lounge is not your average Internet forum. As well as all the techie stuff there is a special sense of community too. However, just in case any of you were in doubt about this, read on...

My family and I got caught up in the recent air travel chaos in Europe. Our flight home was supposed to be on Thurs 15th April but the skies closed about 3 hours before our flight time.

It was orderly chaos at the airport at that stage. Probably because most people thought the flight ban wouldn't last long and so were resigned to queueing for a rebook and roughing it overnight before flying out the next day. I think I queued for about 4 hours only to find the earliest flight on offer was Sat evening.

The queue for local hotel info was not quite as long as the rebooking queue but people there were being told, sorry, everything is full. Nor could I get through to the hotel we'd left earlier in the day, so what to do next? The prospect of 48hrs at an airport was not appealing.

A Tannoy announcement that the airport was giving free Internet access gave me a glimmer of hope. After more queuing to get onto a terminal I was able to contact a fellow Lounger who I knew lived in the country I was in. Perhaps, I thought, they could find a hotel a bit further away from the airport that had rooms. I waited while they phoned round in their native language. Sadly, all the hotels they knew of were also full but then something amazing happened...

They apologised :scratch: for not being able to find a hotel but, they continued, they did have some friends who could offer us a bed for the night, would that help?

I was stunned. :woops:

Are your sure? Of course, get on a train and I'll meet you at the station

I was stunned again :woops: :woops:

Thus, myself, wife and two teenage boys found ourselves at about 11:30pm meeting this Lounger face to face for the first time and soon after being introduced to their friends and warmly welcomed into their home before finally getting to bed a little later.

The generosity and kindness didn't end there.

We were looked after completely. Each morning our hosts were happy for me to call the airline and be on hold for at least an hour before getting through to someone and rebooking (again). We were able to use their washing machine (we only had about 3 days worth of clothes with us). We were given guided tours of their city. We cooked and shared meals together. We made and enjoyed music together, with my youngest son playing piano accompaniment while one of our hosts played their cello and everyone else sat round and listened.

We were eventually able to leave on Wed 21st via a 'Plan B' ferry crossing that we had booked on the Sat thinking we'd be cancelling it as we'd have flown home long before then. It wasn't the quickest way home but having left our new friends at 10:30am we finally got into our own beds about 14 hours later.

I know I've written quite a bit in this post but I actually lost for words to describe what I feel. All I can say is:

:thankyou: to the Lounger who rescued me & my family
:thankyou: to their friends for being so willing to accept complete strangers into their home
:thankyou: to all of you for making The Lounge a place where this was possible

:wave:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Re: overwhelmed with kindness

Post by StuartR »

and
:thankyou: to you Ken for sharing this heart warming story.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:and
:thankyou: to you Ken for sharing this heart warming story.
It shows that there are STILL a few good, kindhearted souls left in this world, despite signs to the contrary.
This reminds me of an incident a few years ago. My wife and I were going to take a tour of eastern Canada and left by car from New Jersey on our way to the border. Unfortunately, we had an accident with our car while going through Connecticut. My wife had a fairly large cut on her forehead and was rushed to the local hospital for treatment. Our car was towed away to the repair garage. The local police officer on the scene took me in his cruiser and we went flying down the highway at 100mph+ to get me to be by my wife's side. Thankfully, she was stitched up and released and in good condition.

So here we were, in a strange town with no car or place to stay. The officer offered to drive us to the repair garage to check on our car. It needed a lot of work but the owner ordered the parts on a priority basis and said he could have it ready in about four days! He then offered to take us back to his house, where his wife fixed us a sandwich and tea. He then offered to let us use his pickup truck for as long as we wanted, to get around the area. He suggested a local motel where we could stay. The most gracious owners gave us a room, at no charge and even had us have breakfast and dinner with the family for the entire length of our stay. We "toured" the local beaches and made the best of our situation.
The car was repaired in only three days and we decided to just return home and see Canada some other time. The most important thing was that we made a number of new friends out what could have been a most stressful time in our lives.
These people were just the greatest we could have hoped for.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:Ken
I'm glad to see that you are no longer "Stuck", and thanks for sharing!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Wonderful!

Thank you for sharing the warmth with us.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Brings a tear to these ol' eyes, Ken. Bless you, the Lounger who helped you and everyone who was so kind to you and your family. Your story says there are some REALLY GOOD people in this world!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:Your story says there are some REALLY GOOD people in this world!
Yes, most definitely. In contrast to the pictures in the newspapers of airports looking like refugee camps and hearing of the food outlets at airports taking advantage of everyone's misery and raising prices, we found ourselves sitting in the afternoon sun drinking and snacking and laughing a lot - before moving on to the kitchen and helping to cook a meal and laughing even more!

Ken

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bigaldoc wrote:Brings a tear to these ol' eyes, Ken. Bless you, the Lounger who helped you and everyone who was so kind to you and your family. Your story says there are some REALLY GOOD people in this world!
And many of them are here in The Lounge !!! :fanfare:

Thanks for sharing a heartwarming story Ken. :smile:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Several years ago, I sent a foreign currency draft to one of my children on an exchange program in Dublin. It was made out in Euros, but the US bank mistakenly put a $ sign in front of the number, and the Dublin banks would not honor it until it cleared through the issuing US bank, which would take several weeks. I posted to the VIP forum in the legacy Woody's Lounge asking for advice; what I got instead of advice was a Lounge Admin who met my daughter the next day and loaned her €100 on faith. She paid him back about a month later.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Goshute wrote:what I got instead of advice was a Lounge Admin who met my daughter the next day and loaned her €100 on faith. She paid him back about a month later.
It is good to hear that The Lounge has a long history of generosity and kindness.

Ken