A sad bit of news ...

Wendell
4StarLounger

A sad bit of news ...

Post by Wendell »

Over in the "other" Lounge, Jefferson reports in the VIP Room that he received a message from the brother of Malcolm Acheson (aka Malcolm Wagner, aka Unkamunka) reporting that Malcolm had passed away recently. I had noticed that there hadn't been any posts by him - it appears his last post was made on 12 February, 2010. There aren't many details yet, but I thought since most of the members here have either known him personally, or at least know him from his thoughtful comments and suggestions, that perhaps someone could shed a bit more on him and his life. At the moment there are plans to create a tribute post on the Windows Secrets Lounge, but so little is known that it appears they will wait to get further information from his brother.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: A sad bit of news ...

Post by viking33 »

Wendell wrote:Over in the "other" Lounge, Jefferson reports in the VIP Room that he received a message from the brother of Malcolm Acheson (aka Malcolm Wagner, aka Unkamunka) reporting that Malcolm had passed away recently. I had noticed that there hadn't been any posts by him - it appears his last post was made on 12 February, 2010. There aren't many details yet, but I thought since most of the members here have either known him personally, or at least know him from his thoughtful comments and suggestions, that perhaps someone could shed a bit more on him and his life. At the moment there are plans to create a tribute post on the Windows Secrets Lounge, but so little is known that it appears they will wait to get further information from his brother.
Wendell,
That is sad news indeed. I didn't know him personally but I did know him from association in the "old" Lounge for years. It's always rather sad and depressing when you hear of someone you know passing away. I wonder if there is a way to send our collective regrets to his family? :sad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Ohmigod, Wendell, that's sad news! Malcolm wasn't very "talkative" offline so I don't know if any of our brethren "knew him" any more than what he posted in The Lounge over the years. I never heard anyone say anything, even over in WS, that he was ill or in any bad straits.

May he rest in peace and go with God!
Last edited by HansV on 21 Mar 2010, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove photograph (Malcolm was fond of his privacy)

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

I didn't know him well either - I only met him once in Prague in 2005, along with Hans and Leif. He seemed quite pleasant and talkative - maybe the beer helped - but there was some insinuation that there was something in his past where he felt he was at risk. I think he attended one or two other Lounge Conventions in Europe, so perhaps others will know more.
Wendell

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I heard about unkamunka's passing from other VIPs of the Windows Secrets Lounge. This is very sad news indeed, and shocking - he was a couple of years younger than me, I think (I'm 58). I met him at several of the Lounge get-togethers in London and Prague in 2004-2006; he was a colorful and indeed talkative guy.

I've sent an e-mail to his brother.
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Wendell wrote:Over in the "other" Lounge, Jefferson reports in the VIP Room that he received a message from the brother of Malcolm Acheson (aka Malcolm Wagner, aka Unkamunka) reporting that Malcolm had passed away recently. I had noticed that there hadn't been any posts by him - it appears his last post was made on 12 February, 2010. There aren't many details yet, but I thought since most of the members here have either known him personally, or at least know him from his thoughtful comments and suggestions, that perhaps someone could shed a bit more on him and his life. At the moment there are plans to create a tribute post on the Windows Secrets Lounge, but so little is known that it appears they will wait to get further information from his brother.
Thanks for letting us know, Wendell. His was one of those names I always looked out for and as you say his contributions were so helpful.

Ian

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sad news indeed.

I met Malcolm a couple of times in London, and I went to visit him in Vienna once when I was working there. He was a very colourful character and will be missed by many loungers.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

This is very sad news to hear. I met him in London, Prague and Vienna, and talked to him by telephone only last month.

RIP, unkamunka.
Leif

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

That is sad, I met Malcolm once in London when we all met up for a beer at our old Lounge conventions. I always remember how Malcolm continually talked and joked about various topics especially about the history of Europe. A lovely chap and his calming influence in the Lounge will be missed.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Sorry to hear that! I never met him, but his contributions were always of high quality.
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

This is very sad news, indeed. As mentioned, his contributions were always of high quality.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Cyberdance
NewLounger

Post by Cyberdance »

I am so sorry to hear this news, I remember his posts very well - so helpful and well explained, always genuine.
May he RIP.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Brian Livingston has posted In memory of Malcolm Wagner (unkamunka) in the Windows Secrets Lounge, with a touching message from Malcolm's brother Vincent.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Yes - agreed - it is a touching message. They have started a "tribute" thread and several people, myself and Hans included, have posted in response. I had a brief email from Vincent last night, indicating that he would compose a bit of information about Malcolm for the rest of us, and he has done himself proud. Malcolm's presence in both Lounges and in other forums will be missed.
Wendell

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Brian Livingston has posted In memory of Malcolm Wagner (unkamunka) in the Windows Secrets Lounge, with a touching message from Malcolm's brother Vincent.
After seeing Malcolm's user name ( unkamunka ) on the Lounge for so many years and wondering just what it meant, I see from his brother's message, that it was what Vincent's children called him. Unkamunka instead of UNCLE MALCOLM! :sad: :salute:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.