Browse defaults to document folder

weese237
2StarLounger

Browse defaults to document folder

Post by weese237 »

Good morning!
I would like to change the default "browse" location from the documents folder to the downloads folder. Is this possible?

It doesn't matter whether I'm searching for something in Office, my photo editing softwares, or downloading from the internet. Every time I look for a location for files or to deposit a new file, I click on "browse" and it always comes up with the documents folder first. I never use the documents folder. Whatever is in there obviously comes from items put in there from some software I am using. I keep everything in the downloads folder.

Can I change this somehow?

Thanks,
Louise     :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Browse defaults to document folder

Post by HansV »

Let's see if someone else has a suggestion, but as far as I know that is not possible.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

weese237 wrote:
04 May 2024, 14:24
...searching for something in Office, my photo editing softwares, or downloading from the internet...
I don't fully understand what you are actually doing, and I can't comment on how the most recent version of Office behaves, but in my experience:
1) In Office 2016 and whatever the current version of Office was in MS365 back in Sept 2022 then the default folder can be set via:
    a) File | Options | Save
    b) File Options | Advanced, scroll down to 'General' and then use the 'File Locations' button

2) My photo editing software, DxO PhotoLab, Affinity Photo 2 and Photoshop CS2 (no that's not a typo, you can run PS CS2 on Windows 10), all default to the last folder I used.

3) In Firefox the default download folder is set via Settings, scroll done to 'Files and Applications'

Does this help??

Ken

EDITED TO ADD:
In Office, File | Options | Save tick the box that says 'Save to Computer by default', to prevent it defaulting to OneDrive

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Sorry it's taken so long to reply! Somehow my notifications by email was turned off so I didn't think I had any replies.

Ok, I think Hans is right. I can't find any way of changing this behavior.

What I am trying to do is simply Browse in the folder I'm in. For example, if I am trying to find a file in Office, and it's not in the folder that comes up, [the default is downloads] I could be working in "downloads\files", but I really want to look in "downloads\paper", when I hit "browse" to go there, it automatically goes to Documents folder. Same thing with any of my photo editing software which I have many. One of those always comes up in the documents folder when I want to save an edit even though the file I worked on came from someplace else. Once saved, then it stays in the correct folder.
In Firefox, I decided to just use one folder for all downloads, then move the files to the desired folder later.
Louise     :smile: